Residents in foreshore areas urged to be prepared
28 January 2013
Brisbane City Council is advising residents in foreshore and riverside locations that a storm surge is expected tomorrow on top of the higher than normal high tide.
A predicted tide peak of 1.16 metres (AHD) is expected at Brisbane Bar at approximately 11.15am tomorrow, 29 January.
This is similar in height to what occurred today (Monday 27 January).
Residents in areas prone to flooding due to higher than normal high tides should prepare for possible flooding and consider sand-bagging property entrances and garage doors.
Sandbags are available free-of-charge from the following locations:
- Zillmere Depot, 33 Jennings Street Zillmere
- South Depot, 48 Shamrock Rd, Darra
- Balmoral Depot, Redfern Street, Morningside
- Herbert Street, Lota
- SES Depot, Wilston Rd, Newmarket
- Einbunpin Lagoon Carpark, Brighton Road, Sandgate
- Baskerville Street, Sandgate
- Stafford Depot, 7 Brockman St, Stafford
Motorists are advised to exercise caution and avoid driving through saltwater on affected roads if possible.
For more information on sandbag locations phone Council on (07) 3403 8888
For tide predictions visit: http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Tides/Tide-tables-2012.aspx