Bus driver benefits
Brisbane City Council offers attractive wages and excellent conditions for bus drivers including:
- fully paid comprehensive training, including training in customer service, electronic ticketing and procedures
- a range of flexible work options
- free uniforms
- 9% superannuation contribution for trainees and casuals (you can also make voluntary contributions)
- weekly wages paid directly into your nominated bank account
Shifts run seven days a week. The earliest shifts start at about 4am and most late shifts finish by 2am.
Full-time or casual
If you prefer shorter shifts (three to five hours), particularly in the morning and afternoon peak times, then look at casual employment.
However, if you want to work full-time (38 hours per week), apply for a traineeship.
Casual employees are hired on an hourly basis and are paid for hours worked. Work is scheduled according to business needs.
Most casual work is in the morning and afternoon peaks, Monday to Friday. Casual bus operators also perform charter work and special events.
You need to be available to work a minimum of any three days between Monday and Friday, or five mornings or five afternoons Monday to Friday.
The hourly pay rate is $28.26 (this includes 23% loading) plus overtime and penalty rates paid as applicable.
Full-time Bus Operators are initially employed as trainees. While completing your traineeship, you will be employed on a temporary full-time basis (38 hour week).
- are usually for up to two years (but can be shorter depending on prior transport experience)
- offer full-time work while completing a Certificate III in Driving Operations
A permanent position may be offered if you complete the traineeship and meet Brisbane Transport’s performance standards.
Initially, you will be required to work different shifts including early, late, afternoon and broken shifts. You will need to be available to work whatever is offered.
Trainee Bus Operators’ starting base pay rate is $803.30 per week (gross) plus overtime and penalty rates as applicable. After 13 months, if you meet Brisbane Transport performance standards, your pay will increase to $873.10 per week (gross) plus overtime and penalty rates as applicable.