Multicultural Employment Infrastructure Program
The Multicultural Employment Infrastructure Program (MEIP) helps overseas trained professionals who are struggling to gain appropriate employment within their profession.
As a MEIP participant, you will learn:
- key points about Australia’s current job market and recruitment processes
- how to tailor your resume and job applications to best showcase your fit with each advertised vacancy
The MEIP team will conduct an initial assessment of your work-readiness and provide information and advice to get you started in a more positive direction with your job-seeking efforts. The next step of the program usually involves a group workshop to discuss our key messages in finding and obtaining employment, including how to tailor cover letters, resumes and addressing selection criteria in your job applications.
We then work with you individually to provide feedback on your cover letter and resume for real jobs you are applying for. We can provide guidance and coaching with each application you prepare including interview preparation, until you achieve sustained employment within your profession.
Note: MEIP does not provide work placements.
Benefits of MEIP include a more inclusive Brisbane where:
- first generation Australians have more choices in the job market
- employers have more choice from the talent already available in Brisbane, rather than having to recruit from overseas
MEIP participants need to be:
- permanent residents
- migrants or refugees with overseas qualifications or work experience
- work-ready (including an appropriate level of English fluency for your profession)
- eligible to work in Australia (unrestricted)
- unemployed or underemployed (less than 25 hours per week)
- able to send and receive emails, and create and edit documents using Microsoft Word
To receive assistance from the MEIP team you will need to complete and return the following documents:
- MEIP intake/referral form (Word - 245kb)
- DEEDI declaration form (Word - 73kb) (to be completed and signed by yourself [section B], and Centrelink [section C], as well as your Job Services Australia provider (JSA) or Disability Employment Service provider (if relevant)
- your current resume
Some documents on this page need Microsoft Word or Microsoft Word Viewer installed on your computer to view or print them.
You can send these completed documents via an email to the MEIP team.
Please also read the Queensland Government privacy statement (Word - 39kb).
A staff member from Council’s Employment Programs team will then call you to discuss the next steps.
Note: The MEIP team are having a great deal of success with the following resume and cover letter templates. If you haven’t got a current resume we recommend you start by using the following templates to build your resume and cover letters. Each template comes with a corresponding user guide which explains a few simple steps to get you started.
You can use the templates to create your new resume and cover letter for use in Australia. You should also refer to the step-by-step guides, which include instructions and examples on how to use the templates:
- resume template (Word - 40kb)
- resume writing - step-by-step guide (PDF - 106kb)
- cover letter template (Word - 32kb)
- cover letter writing - step-by-step guide (PDF - 94kb)
Some documents on this page need Adobe Reader to view or print them. You can download Adobe Reader for free.
For more information about Council’s multicultural employment assistance, you can:
- send an email to the MEIP team
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888