Brisbane Botanic Gardens Mt Coot-tha history
The Brisbane Botanic Gardens officially opened in 1976. Work to build these gardens at the foot of Mount Coot-tha began in 1970.
The Brisbane City Council decided to establish a new botanic gardens after eight major floods swept though the City Botanic Gardens between 1870 and 1974. This open woodland area on the eastern slopes of Mount Coot-tha was selected as a suitable flood-free site.
Plant collections at the Brisbane Botanic Gardens include a series of distinctly different gardens arranged in themes and geographical displays. The recently developed Australian Plant Communities collection occupies a total area of 27 hectares.
For more information phone the Brisbane Botanic Gardens on 07 3403 2535.