Bikeway and pathway projects
Brisbane City Council's active public transport projects improve our public transport, bikeways and shared bicycle and pedestrian pathways. Cycle paths and bikeways enhance Brisbane's environment and minimise traffic congestion.
Before cycling in Brisbane, find out about temporary bikeway closures and detours that may affect your bike ride.
Active public transport projects
- New Farm - Riverwalk replacement
Council has five design concepts for the reconstruction of the Riverwalk.
- Fortitude Valley - Barry Parade Bikeway Link
The Barry Parade Bikeway Link will provide on-road cycle lanes and intersection upgrades from Turbot Street to Gipps Street, Fortitude Valley.
- Ashgrove - Royal Parade Bridge replacement
The Royal Parade Bridge replacement will replace the pedestrian/cyclist bridge that was washed away during the 2013 Australia Day storm event.
- Carseldine - Cabbage Tree Creek Bikeway - stage 3
This bikeway will complete an important link in the Carseldine and Aspley bicycle network.
- Enoggera - Enoggera Creek Bikeway
The Enoggera Creek Bikeway will provide improved connectivity in the local bicycle network.
- Fitzgibbon - Lilly Pilly Bikeway
The Lilly Pilly Bikeway will connect Lilly Pilly Crescent, Caribou Crescent and Odense Street through Iris Place Park.
- Geebung - Zillman Waterholes Bikeway
The Zillman Waterholes Bikeway will involve constructing a shared pathway from Murphy Road (near Fernlea and Orville streets) to the existing bike network in Geebung Park.
- Mitchelton to Nundah - Kedron Brook Bikeway upgrade
The Kedron Brook Bikeway upgrade project will involve providing new links to the bikeway and widening and upgrading of ten existing locations from Pullen Road at Mitchelton to Sandgate Road at Nundah.
- Nundah - Gateway North Bikeway
The Gateway North Bikeway will improve safety for cyclists and pedestrians and deliver a missing link between Nudgee Road and the existing Moreton Bay Cycleway.
- Virginia - Downfall Creek shared pathway - stage three
This final stage completes the project and links into stages one and two. Stage three will connect Warburton Park to Virginia State School and Virginia railway station.
- Brisbane CBD to Toowong - Bicentennial Bikeway upgrade
Council is progressively upgrading the Bicentennial Bikeway which runs along the Brisbane River and connects the CBD to Toowong. It is Brisbane city's busiest shared pathway and an important cycle and pedestrian link in the active transport network.
- Chapel Hill - Cubberla Creek Bikeway
The Cubberla Creek Bikeway will extend from the end of Brushbox Court across the park, and will continue in a southbound direction along Boblynne Street to Moggill Road, Chapel Hill.
- Indooroopilly to Forest Lake - Centenary Highway commuter links
The Centenary Highway commuter links project will improve connections from local bikeways and shared paths to the Centenary Highway bikeway.
- Pullenvale - Moggill Creek shared pathway
The Moggill Creek pedestrian and cyclist pathway will link Brookfield State School in Boscombe Road to the Moggill Creek culvert in Rafting Ground Road.
- Pullenvale - Gold Creek Road pathway
The Gold Creek Road pathway will create a shared crossing that will provide safe off-road access for pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.
- The Gap - Payne Road shared pathway
The Payne Road shared pathway will provide a safe, direct and convenient connection for pedestrians and cyclists across the culvert on Payne Road at The Gap.
- Toowong to Indooroopilly - Toowong to Indooroopilly commuter bikeway corridor
The Toowong to Indooroopilly commuter bikeway corridor will create a high quality, connected and accessible commuter route for residents of and workers in the inner western suburbs of Brisbane.
- Brisbane CBD to Wynnum/Manly and Carindale - Commuter bikeway corridor studies
The Commuter bikeway corridor studies will provide a safe and direct through-route to Wynnum/Manly and Carindale from the CBD.
- Bulimba - Bulimba Creek Bikeway - stage 3
The Bulimba Creek Bikeway runs from Murrarie Recreation Ground to Holmead Park and will include a missing cycle and park link in Wishart.
- Greenslopes - Nicholson Street Bikeway
The Nicholson Street Bikeway will connect Greenslopes Busway Station and Nicholson Street, Greenslopes through the former Stephens Mountain Quarry.
- South Brisbane - Victoria Bridge Bikeway
The Victoria Bridge Bikeway project will improve safety for pedestrians and cyclists and increase accessibility to the Victoria Bridge, Queensland Art Gallery and the Cultural Centre.
- Tarragindi - Ekibin Road East safety improvement
The Ekibin Road East safety improvement project will provide improved facilities and safety improvements on and off the road along sections of Eikibin Road East.