Discounts, remissions and exemptions
Learn about the discounts, remissions and exemptions on rate accounts including pensioner, owner-occupier, bushland preservation remissions and not-for-profit general rate remissions.
Brisbane City Council offers remissions (discounts) on rates to eligible residents to encourage ratepayers to pay their rates within thirty days of the issuing date. The discounts offered are for properties included in categories 1 or 10 determined under 4(a) of the Resolution of Rates and Charges: $60 per annum.
If the full amount of the rate account is not paid to Council within thirty days after the account's issue date, interest is charged on the unpaid amount at 9.83% per annum, compounding daily.
The discount and interest are set out in the budget at the end of each financial year.
For more information about eligibility criteria for this discount, refer to the Resolution of Rates and Charges in the budget section.
Council offers the following remissions:
- a pensioner remission of up to 40%
- an owner-occupied remission for eligible residential owner-occupied properties
- a bushland preservation remission for all properties subject to a Voluntary Conservation Agreement or a Wildlife Protection Order
- general rates exemptions for properties used for public, religious, charitable or educational purposes
- not-for-profit general rate remission for organisations providing welfare and community support to residents of Brisbane
- a general rates remission is available to properties in categories 16 and 17
- a discount is available to eligible residents as noted above.