Rates discounts, remissions and exemptions
Learn about the discount, remissions and exemptions Brisbane City Council offers on rate accounts, including our early payment discount, first home owner, pensioner, owner-occupier, rate capping and bushland preservation remissions.
Council also offers a remission for some not-for profit organisations and exemption for properties used for public, religious, charitable or educational purposes.
We're helping lower the cost of living through a range of rates remissions for those who need it most.
Council offers eligible ratepayers an early payment discount to encourage payment of rates within 30 days. The discount is available to properties rated in Categories 1 and 10 up to a maximum of $60 per annum.
If the full amount is not paid within 30 days of issue, interest is charged on the unpaid amount at 9.83% per annum, compounding daily.
The early payment discount amount and interest rate are set out in the budget at the end of each financial year.
For more information, refer to Council’s Resolution of Rates and Charges.
Council offers the following remissions:
- a first home owner remission of 50% up to $1000 over a 12 month period to eligible applicants
- a pensioner remission of up to 40% to eligible applicants
- a not-for-profit general rate remission for organisations providing welfare and community support to residents of Brisbane (eligible applicants)
- a bushland preservation remission for all properties subject to a Voluntary Conservation Agreement or a Wildlife Protection Order (eligible applicants)
- an owner-occupier remission for some residential properties
- a general rates remission for properties in categories 16 and 17.
Council charges a Rate Account and Services Establishment Fee to establish a new rate account when a property transfers ownership. You can apply for an exemption of this fee if you meet certain criteria.
We also offer general rates exemptions for properties used for public, religious, charitable or educational purposes.