Rates summary - Budget 2017-18
This summary aims to help explain the differences for rates, levies, discounts and remissions as a result of the 2017-18 Lord Mayor's Budget.
In order to meet Council's commitments to create jobs, reduce traffic congestion and help preserve our environment, owner-occupied residential rates have risen by 2.4%. This compares to 4.7% in the 2016-17 budget.
Separate rates and utility charges
- Waste Management Charges have been renamed to Waste Utility Charges and have increased by 2.4% from $310.64 to $318.08.
- Environmental Management and Compliance Levy (EMCL) remains at 5% of general rates which is a level that has not been changed since 1997-98.
- Bushland Preservation Levy remains at 3.5% of general rates. Find out more about how the Bushland Preservation Levy is being used to protect and enhance Brisbane's natural environment.
Rate capping, discounts and remissions
- Pensioner rates remissions will increase by 2.4%.
- Not-for-profit organisations will continue to receive a partial-rate remission of 50% of general rates. Find out if your business might be eligible and how you can apply to receive this remission.
- Rate capping will continue to be granted at 7.5% of general rates for owner-occupiers of residential properties (categories 1 and 10). This amount remains the same as the previous budget.
- The rate cap for non-residential/commercial properties included in categories 16 and 17 is 7.5% for 2017-18. Find out more about rate capping.
- Council offers remissions (discounts) on rates to eligible residents with properties in categories 1 or 10 to pay their rates by the due date. This discount remains unchanged at $60 per annum.
Find out more about pensioner remissions, including amounts and eligibility.
Changes in minimum rates
Minimum general rates have increased in the 2017-18 budget by $50 for owner-occupied properties and $75 for non-owner occupied, bringing them to $685.88 and $894.24 respectively. Despite this increase Brisbane will still have the lowest minimum general rates in South East Queensland.
Find out the full details of these charges, discounts, eligibility, and rating categories in the Resolution of Rates and Charges in the budget section.