Brisbane's Sister City - Daejeon
2017 marked the 15th Anniversary of the Brisbane-Daejeon Sister City Relationship. The two cities reaffirmed the desire to further develop the existing relations between Brisbane and Daejeon with strong emphasis on economic activities at the 2017 Asia Pacific Cities Summit and Mayors' Forum in Daejeon.
The agreement aims to foster relationships in the areas of:
- start-up and innovation
- research and development
- education and training
- renewable technologies
- food and beverage
Daejeon is South Korea’s fifth largest city and is home to a population of more than 1.5 million people. Known as the ‘Silicon Valley of Korea’, Daejeon is a leading hub in the field of research and development and higher education in North Asia. Daejeon is home to Daedeok Innopolis, a government-funded research park that was established in 1973. It is a unique precinct which includes more than 70 world-class research institutes with more than 22,000 researchers. Daejeon is also home to the World Technopolis Association (WTA), whose General Assembly was held in Brisbane in July 2006.
The 2017 Asia Pacific Cities Summit and Mayors’ Forum was successfully hosted by Daejeon from 10-13 September 2017 and the Lord Mayor of Brisbane led a delegation of 120 Brisbane business, government and youth leaders to the Summit.
- Deajeon is the fifth largest city in Korea.
- Daejeon has more than 1.5 million residents and covers approximately 540 square kilometres.
- The city enjoys a continental climate with an average annual temperature of 12 °C and an average rainfall of 1350 millimetres.
- Daejeon City is located in the centre of South Korea — 164 km from Seoul, 294 km from Busan and 169 km from Gwangju.
- Daejeon is a leading hub in the field of research and development and higher education in North Asia.
- Daejeon is home to 19 universities.
- Research institutes like Samsung Fine Chemical Co. Research Institute, LG Chem Research Park, SK CNC R&D Centre and more than 1000 venture capital businesses are gathered in Daejeon.
The City is situated among four mountains which form a large valley. Three major rivers pass through the city. Daejeon boasts a number of natural and man-made scenic sights including Jangtaesan recreational forest, Daecheongho Lake Park, Yuseong Hot Springs, and Expo Park.
- Daejeon key facts and opportunity sectors fact sheet (PDF - 1.1Mb)
- Daejeon key facts and opportunity sectors fact sheet (Word - 106kb).
For more information visit the Daejeon website.