The Lord Mayor's Multicultural Business Scholarship and Mentoring Scheme
The Lord Mayor's Multicultural Business Scholarships and Mentoring Scheme provide business training and mentoring opportunities for Brisbane residents from multicultural backgrounds. The program aims to grow recipients’ business and entrepreneurial skills and enable them to start or expand their business. Since 2008 the program has delivered over 200 scholarship placements.
Applications for this year's scholarships and mentoring scheme are now closed. The following programs were offered:
- Certificate III in Micro Business Operations with TAFE Small Business Solutions
- Certificate IV in Small Business Management: Build a Better Business Workshop with TAFE – Small Business Solutions
- Certificate IV in New Small Business Management with Southbank Institute of Technology
- Certificate IV in New Small Business Management with Site Institute Brisbane
- Lord Mayor’s Multicultural Business Mentoring Scheme with Career Employment Australia
To be considered for an award in any category, nominees must:
- Be from a multicultural or culturally and linguistically diverse (CaLD) background with at least one natural parent born in a country other than Australia.
- Have Australia citizenship or hold permanent residency.
- Personal reside in the Brisbane City Council local government area.
- For the Mentoring Program with Career Employment Australia, you must have operated a business for at least 12 months to be eligible.
Alternatively, find more about the mentoring program.
Scholarship program overview video
The Lord Mayor introduces the Business Scholarship Program and previous scholarship recipients Supriya Perera and Nicolas Cariati share their experiences.
Watch the video or read the text version.
Founder of Be Cake, Liliana handcrafts her cake creations and specialises in custom designs for special occasions.
Anja K Kapelski
Au Pair Assist
Anja’s company, Au Pair Assist, provides connections and support for both host families and au pairs, including guidance and training for new au pairs.
Meg founded MIM-Consultant, a global strategy business improvement consultancy firm based in Brisbane, after working all over the world in a wide range of industries.
Global Travel Company
Henrique is the co-founder of Global Travel Company, an online travel agency based in Kangaroo Point, which offers customised travel packages and services.
Vanda is the founder of Kaskelot Agency, a NAATI accredited agency providing professional translations in over 90 languages. Vanda joined the mentor program to gain first-hand experience in how to grow a business.
Julie’s business, Sunwood Imports, supplies wholesale footwear made in Europe and Asia to Australian retailers. Julie joined the programme to gain the confidence, motivation and inspiration to further develop her business.
True Journey Financial Planning
Tony is a co-founder of Brisbane financial planning company, True Journey Financial, and the company’s in-house superannuation and property expert.
Aussie Broker Yanti Sudiono
Brisbane-based mortgage broker with Aussie, Sujanti gained valuable business ideas and tips from mentors and formed strong, supportive relationships with fellow mentees.
Founder of Holistic Physio, Sandra's practice combines elements of physiotherapy, acupuncture, herbal medicine and pilates. Sandra enjoys meeting people who are in similar situations and learning from people with experience in the industry. She describes her mentors as very encouraging, motivating and supportive.
Richard is the founder of youth sports retail company, Lacholvr Sports, and found the insightful probing from mentors helped his business strategy. He also enjoyed the opportunity to form relationships with other small business owners.
Annamaria is the founder of EuroDeli ToYou, an online gourmet food and gift basket company with a focus on independent producers and unique traditions.
Ana Maria Willis
Ana Maria is the founder of Sara Crave, an active wear brand for women. She left her career in economics to pursue her passion for the fitness industry.
Tintin is a conceptual artist recognised for her socio-politically charged artworks which are often interactive.
Find out more about the 2015 mentees.