The Lord Mayor's Multicultural Business Scholarship and Mentoring Scheme
The Lord Mayor's Multicultural Business Scholarships and Mentoring Scheme provides business training and mentoring opportunities for Brisbane residents from multicultural backgrounds.
The program aims to grow recipients’ business and entrepreneurial skills and enable them to start or expand their business. This year, the Lord Mayor’s Multicultural Business Scholarship Program and Mentoring Scheme will have supported almost 300 recipients since the program began in 2008.
Applications for this year's scholarships and mentoring scheme are now open and will close at 5pm on Monday 24 April 2017. Submit your application online.
To be considered for an award in any category, nominees must:
- be from a multicultural or culturally and linguistically diverse (CaLD) background with at least one natural parent born in a country other than Australia
- have Australian citizenship or hold permanent residency
- personally reside in the Brisbane City Council local government area
- for the Mentoring Program with Career Employment Australia, you must have operated a business for at least 12 months to be eligible.
The following programs are offered:
- Certificate III in Micro Business Operations - Small Business Solutions with TAFE Queensland Brisbane (South Bank campus) - consists of five, three-hour workshops (flexible days) starting mid-June for approximately eight weeks.
This course focus is micro businesses and is for those who have a defined idea of what business you want to create.
- Certificate IV in Small Business Management: Build a Better Business Workshop with TAFE Queensland Brisbane - Small Business Solutions (South Bank campus) - consists of five, three-hour workshops (flexible course options) starting mid-June for approximately eight weeks.
This course focus is growing finances, establishing support networks and creating market strategies. You must have been operating a business for at least 12 months to begin this course.
- Certificate IV in New Small Business Management with TAFE Queensland Brisbane (South Bank campus) - consists of set classes at 6-9pm Tuesdays and Thursdays, starting 10 July 2017 for approximately 12 weeks.
This course focus is on planning processes, financing, marketing, online business development and associated laws and is for individuals thinking of starting a small business, or have just started one.
- Dual Certificate III in Manufacturing Technology and Engineering with Site Institute (City Campus) - consists of two full days attendance per week on Mondays and Tuesdays, starting July 2017 over two 10 week terms.
This course focus is practical skills and knowledge to carry out technical functions in mechanical engineering research, design, manufacturer operations, and maintenance. This is for those who are looking to start or have already started a career in civil construction, oil and gas, engineering, mining, hospitality and business industries.
- Lord Mayor’s Multicultural Business Mentoring Scheme with Career Employment Australia - consists of monthly workshops over one year. This is for business people who have operated a business for at least 12 months.
Find out more about these programs by emailing the Multicultural Unit.
Alternatively, find more about the mentoring program.
Dat Chi Truong, Dat Photography
Dat’s company, Dat Photography, provides professional photography services. Dat’s background in graphic design enables him to provide a niche service to clients.
Dimitry Levin, DL Solutions
DL Solutions, founded by Dimitry, provides engineering and project management services for land developers. Dimitry has extensive experience as a civil engineering professional.
Donguk (Matthew) Shin, VTEQ Computer Solutions Pty Ltd
Matthew's company, VTEQ Computer Solutions, provides website development and design services. The team at VTEQ will develop, design and maintain websites for clients.
Jal Gatluak, The Collective Sporting Group
The Collective Sporting Group was founded by Jal and provides preseason training programs for athletes in order to prepare their bodies for the physical demands of professional sport.
Jan Pitman, Relaxury
Jan’s company, Relaxury, provides the perfect in-home getaway experience for clients. The services are designed to provide relaxing treatments to manage stress.
Jaroslav Kovar, HSEQ Toolshop Pty Ltd
HSEQ Toolshop is an online education provider in health & safety, environmental and quality/process improvement and was founded by Jaroslav.
Jorge Newbury, Phatboys Foodtruck
Jorge’s company, Phatboys, is a mobile restaurant providing quality Portuguese cuisine to the people of Brisbane.
Katerina Tsokelenis, Mosaic Hair
Mosaic Hair provides beauty treatments and was founded by Katerina. The company has a very good reputation and has been a trusted provider of beauty services to Brisbane clients. Katerina is looking to expand her business through an e-commerce arm.
Pacifique Gakindi, People Power Services Ltd
Pacifique’s business, People Power Services, provides comprehensive, highly professional and cost-effective bond cleaning, office cleaning, pest management, carpet cleaning and lawn mowing to Brisbane residents.
Romina Gambarrutta, AUKA Resource Solutions
AUKA Resource Solutions, owned by Romina, provides professional recruitment services for the international mining industry, and the supply of optical sorting technology.
Sampath (Sam) Wahalathanthri, Wahala Investments Pty Ltd
Sam’s company, Wahala Investments, provides consulting services to start ups businesses in the food industry. Sam has previously operated franchise business outlets.
Sohyuk (Collin) Kim, Onebox Deals
Onebox Deals partners with local businesses to offer discounted offers online and is managed by Collin. The unique service also provides a marketing platform for local businesses to reach a new client base.
Zhen Guan, Broadlingual
Zhen’s company, Broadlingual, provides language services (Chinese, Japanese and English translation and interpretation) and also social media marketing. Zhen operates the company together with his wife Sonia. Both Zhen and Sonia graduated from the University of Queensland with Masters Degrees in translation and interpretation.