Benefits of working at Council
Brisbane City Council is a nationally recognised employer of choice and has received awards for programs in health and safety, career development, diversity, work and family, and learning and development.
'Dedicated to a better Brisbane' is more than just a line in Council's logo. It is our commitment to the people of Brisbane that we will ensure our city will always be a great place to live, work and relax.
Making a difference
Our people deliver services and projects that contribute to making Brisbane a great place to live and do business. They are passionate about delivering active and healthy and creative communities, driving a strong economy, sustaining a clean and green environment and a city of cultural vibrancy, and developing our New World City - creating an enduring legacy of liveability for future generations.
With over 300 job types across a broad range of service areas - including roads, public transport, community services, and city planning - our people have diverse and rewarding careers.
Our People 2017-2022 is a plan for how we will attract, retain and develop our people in a positive and productive work environment to meet the needs of Brisbane, now and in the future.
You can download the plan:
Leadership at Council
Driving a values-based leadership culture is a priority for Council. Council's Leadership Blueprint defines everyday leadership behaviour and provides a common set of goals and accountabilities for leaders across the organisation. It is a framework that guides leadership now and into the future.
You can download the blueprint:
Training and career development
Career paths and progression are an important part of Council life. Taking on new roles and responsibilities lets you learn and earn more while your career develops.
Council has a number of learning programs and career development options that allow you to gain more skills and knowledge, move around the organisation, change jobs or fields, or undertake formal study.
Some of our positions also include a fully-paid training period, including for contact centre operators, bus drivers, plumbing inspectors, rapid response officers, as well as apprentices and trainees.
To help you build a secure future, we offer:
- competitive salaries including annual increments (conditions apply)
- a generous superannuation scheme - 14% for permanent employees personally contributing 5%, total 19% (conditions apply)
- 17.5% annual leave loading
- ability to purchase additional leave (conditions apply)
- overtime and time off in lieu (if applicable)
- study assistance (with approval)
- uniforms and tools of trade supplied (where required)
- reasonable adjustment for employees with a disability.
Work/life balance and flexibility
Council appreciates the importance of a healthy work/life balance. Achieving balance in your life is vital to being a productive and happy employee. Whether you want to spend more time with family, train for a marathon or pursue a hobby, you can request a flexible work arrangement to keep things in check.
Some of the flexible options available at Council include:
- flexi-time and flexible working horus, where applicable
- part-time and job share arrangements
- working from home.
Council supports families with generous maternity leave (14 weeks paid) and paternity leave (four weeks paid) as well as unpaid parental leave periods for permanent employees. Flexible working hours for mums and dads raising young families can also be negotiated once you are ready to return to work.
We also have generous leave entitlements and options including some leave types at half pay, carer's and bereavement leave, a paid volunteering day each year and arrangements for Defence Force Reserve participants.
All permanent employees accrue long service leave, and you can apply for recognition of previous service with other state and federal government departments and selected local governments, where we have a reciprocal arrangement.
Safe and supportive work environment
Council takes workplace health and safety very seriously. It protects safety and promotes health by:
- striving for zero harm, both mentally and physically, to anyone in the workplace, at home or in public spaces through our 'Zero Harm' policy
- being committed to providing a workplace that has Zero Tolerance for any unwelcome or harassing behaviour of a sexual, discriminatory or offensive nature
- promoting the health and wellbeing of employees through a 'wellness' program
- offering free gym and cycle facilities at the major administration centres in the CBD and Fortitude Valley
- access to free counselling assistance as well as opportunities to participate in personal development workshops and training
- option to request a career break to go travelling or pursue an interest. This helps you achieve personal and professional development.
Many of Council's administration employees are located at the award-winning energy-efficient buildings - Brisbane Square, CBD and Green Square, Fortitude Valley. These buildings boast vibrant, open office spaces that offer exciting work environments with natural light.