Benefits of working at Council
Brisbane City Council is a nationally recognised employer of choice. We have received awards for programs in:
- health and safety
- career development
- work and family
- learning and development.
'Dedicated to a better Brisbane' is more than just a line in Council's logo. It is our commitment to the people of Brisbane to ensure our city will always be a great place to live, work and relax.
Making a difference
Our people deliver services and projects that contribute to making Brisbane a great place to live and do business. They are passionate about delivering:
- active and healthy and creative communities
- driving a strong economy
- sustaining a clean and green environment
- a city of cultural vibrancy
- developing our New World City
- creating an enduring legacy of liveability for future generations.
There are over 300 job types across a broad range of service areas. Our people have diverse and rewarding careers in:
- public transport
- community services
- city planning.
Our People 2017-2022 is a plan for how Council will attract, retain and develop our people. This is done in a positive, productive work environment to meet the needs of Brisbane, now and in the future.
You can download the plan:
Leadership at Council
Driving a values-based leadership culture is a priority for Council. Council's Leadership Blueprint defines everyday leadership behaviour. It provides a common set of goals and accountabilities for leaders across the organisation. It is a framework that guides leadership now and into the future.
You can download the:
Training and career development
Career paths and progression are an important part of Council life. Taking on new roles and responsibilities helps you learn and earn more while your career develops.
Council has a number of learning programs and career development options. These allow you to:
- gain more skills and knowledge
- move around the organisation
- change jobs or fields
- undertake formal study.
Some of our positions also include a fully-paid training period. These positions include:
- contact centre operators
- bus drivers
- plumbing inspectors
- rapid response officers
- apprentices and trainees.
To help you build a secure future, we offer:
- competitive salaries including annual increments (conditions apply)
- a generous superannuation scheme - 14% for permanent employees personally contributing 5%, total 19% (conditions apply)
- 17.5% annual leave loading
- ability to purchase additional leave (conditions apply)
- overtime and time off in lieu (if applicable)
- study assistance (with approval)
- uniforms and tools of trade supplied (where required)
- reasonable adjustment for employees with a disability.
Work/life balance and flexibility
Council appreciates the importance of a healthy work/life balance. Achieving balance in your life is vital to being a productive and happy employee. You can request a flexible work arrangement to keep things in check to:
- spend more time with family
- train for a marathon
- pursue a hobby.
Some of the flexible options available at Council include:
- flexi-time and flexible working hours, where applicable
- part-time and job share arrangements
- working from home.
Council supports families with generous:
- maternity leave (14 weeks paid)
- paternity leave (four weeks paid)
- unpaid parental leave periods for permanent employees
- flexible working hours for parents raising young families (for negotiation when you are ready to return to work).
We also have generous leave entitlements and options including:
- some leave types at half pay
- carer's and bereavement leave
- a paid volunteering day each year
- arrangements for defence force reserve participants.
All permanent employees accrue long service leave. You can apply for recognition of previous service with other state and federal government departments and selected local governments. This is an option where we have a reciprocal arrangement.
Safe and supportive work environment
Council takes workplace health and safety very seriously. It protects safety and promotes health by:
- striving for zero harm (mentally and physically), to everyone in the workplace, at home or in public spaces through our 'Zero Harm' policy
- being committed to providing a workplace that has zero tolerance for any unwelcome or harassing behaviour of a sexual, discriminatory or offensive nature
- promoting the health and wellbeing of employees through a wellness program
- offering free gym and cycle facilities at the major administration centres in the CBD and Fortitude Valley
- providing access to free counselling assistance
- providing opportunities to participate in personal development workshops and training
- offering an option to request a career break to travel or pursue an interest (helps you achieve personal and professional development).
Many of Council's administration employees work at the award-winning energy-efficient buildings. These are Brisbane Square in the CBD and Green Square, Fortitude Valley. These buildings boast vibrant, open office spaces that offer exciting work environments with natural light.