Brisbane City Council’s Apprenticeship program provides apprentices with the skills, training and experience to graduate as a qualified tradesperson, not only with specific trade competencies, but as well-rounded employees with the capability to succeed in their chosen industry.
Council provides you with excellent on-the-job training as well as additional training to complement your technical ability. This training includes areas such as leadership, communication, negotiation, resilience, career management and mental health and wellbeing.
Types of apprenticeships
We employ a diverse range of trade apprentices across Brisbane and within various industries, including (but not limited to):
|Plumbing||Vehicle painting||Parks & gardens|
|Carpentry||Heavy vehicle mechanics||Sports turf management|
|Painting & decorating||Bus building|
How to apply
Council recruits throughout the year for apprentices. To apply submit a resume and cover letter outlining your personal attributes and interest in the particular apprenticeship on offer. The recruitment process may include online assessments, interview and/or assessment centre, reference checks and a medical.
To receive an email about the next apprentice intake, create an account and set up a Job Alert.
Benefits for Council apprentices
When you’re working as an apprentice with Council you can enjoy these great benefits:
- competitive salaries including penalty rates where applicable
- a superannuation scheme of 14%
- uniforms and all tools provided
- 100% of the training costs paid for
- being paid to attend training
- ongoing training and career development in your trade
- dedicated apprentice support person and mentor
- annual Lord Mayor's Apprentice of the Year Awards
- work based in Brisbane.
Important eligibility information
You must be:
- 15 years and over
- an Australian or New Zealand citizen
- a person with a permanent residency visa, a temporary protection visa or a temporary residency visa.
Applicants from the following groups are encouraged to apply:
- young people
- Aboriginal people
- Torres Strait Islander people
- people from a non-English speaking background
- people with disability or impairment
- Australian South Sea Islanders.
For more information on our Apprenticeship program phone Council on 07 3403 8888 or email Employment programs.