Are you ever stuck feeling like it’s impossible to dress to impress without adding something new to your ensemble?
With the rise of fast fashion, it may seem easier to buy something new to match a certain outfit or to wear for a specific event, but chances are your fast fashion buy will just get buried in your wardrobe never to be seen again or, even worse, end up in landfill.
Instead of buying something new, we’re challenging you to Revive Your Style! By taking on the 14-day Wardrobe Challenge, you can fall back in love with what’s already in your wardrobe and help to reduce the amount of clothing going to landfill while you’re at it.
Help break the fast fashion cycle
Did you know 6000 kilograms of unwanted clothing is sent to landfill in Australia every 10 minutes? More than a third of Australian adults have thrown out clothes in the last year, and approximately a quarter have thrown away an item of clothing after wearing it just once!
We all have a role to play in reducing our impact on landfill and the environment, to keep our city clean and green for years to come. By being more mindful of textile waste, you can reduce your consumption of fast fashion and start thinking sustainably when it comes to clothing.
That’s where Council’s Revive Your Style 14-day Wardrobe Challenge comes in!
Take the Revive Your Style Wardrobe Challenge
Get ready to get creative and fall back in love with your wardrobe! For the next two weeks, challenge yourself to restyle old, tired or forgotten items into new outfits.
Embrace the theme for each day to create fabulous new ensembles, without buying anything new!
- Day 1 - Break out an item you haven’t worn for at least six months
- Day 2 - Pattern clash: mix two or more prints into your outfit
- Day 3 - Accessorise: add a chunky necklace, scarf or glam earrings to spice up your outfit
- Day 4 - Colour block: wear a bright colour combo
- Day 5 - Wear something borrowed from someone else’s wardrobe
- Day 6 - Layer game: create a different look with new ways of layering
- Day 7 - Wear a dress in a different way, tucked into a skirt or with a tee over/under it. Guys might try working a collared shirt differently by wearing it undone or around the waist
- Day 8 - Create a look inspired by your style icon
- Day 9 - Second-hand style: wear something thrifted
- Day 10 - Mix textures: think chunky knits with sequin skirts, faux fur and leather
- Day 11 - Raid a friend’s wardrobe and vice versa
- Day 12 - Go monochrome: wear all one colour
- Day 13 - Turn a night outfit into a day outfit
- Day 14 - Wear something altered, mended or upcycled.
If you ever get stuck for ideas, get some styling inspiration from our Revive partner and stylist, thrifting queen Hannah Klose from Never Ever Pay Retail.
Don’t forget to share your new ensembles on social media and hashtag #reviveyourwardrobe2019
After you've completed the challenge, continue to grow your passion for sustainable fashion at the Revive Second-Hand Fashion Festival on Saturday 17 August at the South Bank Parklands.
The celebration of pre-loved fashion promises to be bigger and better than ever this year, featuring even more runway shows and second-hand retailers selling clean and green fashion.
Local charities, retailers, students, crafters, clothes vendors and stylists will bring you markets, runway shows, styling and live entertainment, and don’t miss food from some of Brisbane's best food trucks.