Lots of us love bananas and hate seeing them go to waste.
Everyone was pretty excited last week when we saved 500 speckled bananas from going to landfill by making 3500 pieces of banana bread to share with shoppers in the Queen Street Mall, Brisbane City. Many happy banana bread recipients stopped by for a chat, grabbed a copy of our banana bread recipe and shared some of their own tips on how to reduce food waste.
Try our banana bread recipe at home.
Banana bread recipe
- 1 3/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 overripe medium bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 50g melted butter
- Preheat over to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Lightly grease a loaf pan with melted butter or line the base and sides with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift combined flours and cinnamon into a large bowl.
- Stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre.
- Add the eggs, milk and melted butter, and stir until well combined.
- Add mashed bananas to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and set aside in the plan for 5 minutes.
- Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into slices to serve.
Watch our short video of the key steps to make this banana bread recipe at home.
Bananas and nutrition
Did you know that bananas are gold when it comes to nutrition? They are loaded with essential vitamins and minerals to keep you healthy such as potassium, calcium, manganese, magnesium, iron, folate, niacin, riboflavin and B6.
Bananas can also be helpful in overcoming depression due to high levels of tryptophan, which the body converts to serotonin, the mood elevating brain neurotransmitter. In addition, B6 can help you sleep well and magnesium helps to relax muscles.
Too fabulous to throw away
So the moral of the story is - bananas are way too fabulous to throw away!