Thanks to the creative suggestions from Brisbane residents, OzHarvest’s three food rescue vehicles now have new names.
To celebrate Brisbane City Council becoming an OzHarvest partner, by funding the operation of three dedicated food rescue vehicles for an entire year, residents were given the opportunity to help name the vans.
The best submissions were shortlisted and provided to the Lord Mayor and OzHarvest who both picked a winning name for two of the vans. The third name was voted by residents on Council's Facebook.
We were flooded with suggestions but there can only be three winners.
- The People’s Choice winner: Sunny
- The Lord Mayor’s winner: Ozzie
- OzHarvest’s winner: Tucker Box.
The vans deliver quality excess food from commercial outlets across Brisbane to charities who provide it to people in need.
- 390,000 kilograms of food is rescued from Brisbane businesses and diverted from landfill
- 1,170,000 meals are delivered in Brisbane to vulnerable residents
- 741,000 kilograms of greenhouse gas emissions are saved from entering the atmosphere.
Thank you to everyone who entered the competition and for voting. Keep an eye out for the vans as they work hard to keep our city clean and green.