Smoothies are a great way to cool down on a hot summer’s day. They can also be a clever way to use up what you have in the fridge, freezer and pantry.
Try some of our favourite combinations or experiment with some new flavours. Remember, the trick is to buy nothing new and just use-up what you have. Once you have your ingredients, it’s just a matter of blitzing them all in a blender and enjoy! Ingredients can be fresh or frozen, depending on what you have available.
- Mango madness: mango, your choice of yogurt, ice-cream or milk and a ripe banana.
- Peachy keen: your choice of yogurt or milk, peaches, nectarines and a dash of honey.
- Whacky watermelon: watermelon, ice, mint and honey to taste.
- Going bananas: your choice of milk, yogurt or ice-cream with ripe bananas, a handful of spinach and honey to taste.
- Going green: spinach or kale, half an avocado, kiwi fruit and your choice of yogurt or milk.
- Reuse condiment jars to store and transport your smoothies.
- Throw in items such as chia seeds, cacao, dried fruits or ground flaxseed.
- Try dairy-free milk alternatives such as coconut water, almond, rice, oat or soy milk.
- For a vegan sweetener, replace honey with medjool dates, agave nectar or maple syrup.