If you love cooking, eating and looking for ways to minimise your food waste at home, this delicious sweet and sour pork stir-fry is your answer.
A great alternative to throwing away any leftover vegetables in your fridge is to use them to create this simple sweet and sour stir-fry. Not only will it save you money and reduce food waste at home, but it may also leave you feeling like a rock star chef!
Utilise any vegetables at the bottom of your fridge and combine with some pineapple (fresh or tinned works for this recipe) and you'll have yourself a tasty dinner and a clean fridge.
Simple sweet and sour vegetable and pork stir-fry
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely or 1 teaspoon if you have garlic in a jar
- ½ onion, cut into chunks any colour onion works well
- 150 grams pork tenderloin, sliced
- ¼ cup pineapple, cut into bite sized pieces tinned is fine to use
- 1 cup vegetables of your choice, cut evenly into bite sized pieces - chef’s pick - capsicum, tomato, cucumber, zucchini and carrot
- ½ cup spring onion, cut into 4 cm pieces, this is optional if you have it – also bean sprouts or water chestnuts could be added for some crunch but aren’t essential
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup water
- a small handful of spring onion, thinly sliced (again, this is optional)
- In a wok or frying pan, add the oil over medium heat.
- Toss in garlic, onion and pineapple. Sauté until the onion is translucent and fragrant.
- Add sliced pork and toss until cooked just half way.
- Place 1 cup of vegetables and increase to high heat. Stir and cook until warm yet the vegetables are still a bit crunchy.
- Combine ingredients for the stir-fry sauce and add to the stir-fry.
- Bring to the boil and remove from the heat.
- In a cup, stir together the corn starch and water until there are no lumps. Pour half of the corn starch and water mixture into your stir-fry.
- Return the wok to a low heat. Stir well until the sauce has thickened, add more of corn starch and water mixture until you reach a consistency you like, add more if you want a thicker sauce and stir in well.
- Add the spring onions or your crunchy optional items and stir through.
- Remove from the heat, garnish and serve on steamed jasmine rice. Tuck in and enjoy!
Share a picture of your stir-fry creation with us at #lovefoodhatewastebne and show us your delicious meals!