James Street drainage upgrade – Fortitude Valley
Brisbane City Council is upgrading the drainage infrastructure around the intersection of James Street, McLachlan Street and Ann Street to improve drainage systems and increase future flood immunity in Fortitude Valley.
|Address||James Street between Ann and McLachlan Streets, Fortitude Valley.|
|Project outcomes||Improve drainage infrastructure and increase future flood immunity in Fortitude Valley.|
Start of construction
About the project
Works for this project include constructing a new, large underground stormwater drainage chamber (approximately 5.3 metres wide, 18 metres long and 3 metres deep) above the existing brick drain in the intersection of McLachlan Street and James Street. A section of the existing drain has been lined with reinforced concrete to improve its condition and extend its service life.
This project also includes installation of a new underground drain line across the intersection to connect the new chamber to an existing drainage chamber in McLachlan Street. This will provide increased capacity for future upgrades upstream from James Street to other parts of Fortitude Valley and areas of Bowen Hills. A water main in the footpath on the northern side of James Street has been relocated as part of these works.
Construction started in mid-June 2019 and it is anticipated that works will take approximately five months from site establishment to completion, weather and construction conditions permitting. Due to the tidal nature of the underground drainage network in this area, work will be limited to times when it is safe to do so.
Works will generally take place between 6am and 6pm, Monday to Friday, weather and construction conditions permitting.
Council will make every effort to minimise disruption wherever possible. We appreciate the community's patience during these important flood immunity works.
Weather, tide and site conditions permitting, the project is anticipated to be completed by early November 2019.
During construction, you can expect the following construction impacts.
Lane closures and some traffic delays
- The Ann Street entry to James Street is closed with local business access only between Lexus and James Street Markets. Use Morgan Street to access McLachlan Street and James Street from Ann Street.
- Left turn access from McLachlan Street into James Street and onto Ann and Wickham Streets is reduced from three to two lanes.
- Single lane right turn access from McLachlan Street into James Street is to remain as is.
- Reduced speed limits are in place around the work area.
- Some detours will be in place, please seek alternative route where possible.
Changed pedestrian access conditions
- The footpath outside David Jones is currently closed and will re-open towards the end of the project if it is safe to do so.
- To access businesses on the same side of James Street as the works site, cross the Ann street intersection and cross James Street at the traffic signals at the McLachlan Street intersection.
- Traffic controllers and signage are in place to safely direct motorists and pedestrians.
Other construction impacts
Other construction impacts may include:
- construction noise, dust and vibration at times, including saw cutting of concrete and asphalt, grinding activities and excavation works to install drainage and relocate public utility services.
- increased vehicle movements with reversing beepers and flashing lights. Due to workplace health and safety requirements, reversing beepers cannot be switched off
- increased lighting from portable light towers during night works
- intermittent odour from marine mud disturbance.
Due to the nature and location of the general construction works, some construction impacts are unavoidable. Council will make every effort to minimise disruption wherever possible, including requiring contractors to complete noisier works, such as saw cutting and jack hammering by 11pm.
Council and the appointed contractor will work to complete the project as quickly as is safely possible.
Council appreciates the community's patience during these important flood immunity works which will improve Fortitude Valley's drainage capacity and meet the future needs of your area.
If you would like to provide feedback, ask questions, or find out more about the Fortitude Valley Drainage Upgrade – James Street project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 884 681 during business hours
- phone Council on 3403 8888 outside of business hours
- email the project team
- write to:
James Street drainage upgrade
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001