Responding to a flood threat
There are many steps to take when there is the threat of a flood at your property, including necessary preparations, where to collect sandbags and having an emergency kit ready.
Follow these tips to prepare for a flood:
- listen to your local radio station for updates
- sign up for early warning alert services
- make sure your emergency kit is ready. This should contain valuables such as jewellery, a back up of important computer files, warm clothing, important documents (such as birth certificates), and any needs for infants and pets
- plan your evacuation route. Don't drive through floodwaters. If you plan to evacuate, do so early, as roads may become flooded or congested
- move valuables up high
- collect sandbags from Council depots at Darra, Morningside, Newmarket and Zillmere.