How Eat Safe Brisbane works
Eat Safe Brisbane promotes a vibrant, healthy and world-class food industry as part of our Brisbane Vision 2031. The scheme was developed in partnership with:
- Queensland Hotels Association
- Clubs Queensland
- Restaurant and Catering Queensland
- Baking Industry Association Queensland.
Eat Safe Brisbane benefits the community, food businesses and Council by:
- improving food safety standards and reducing incidences of food-borne illness
- increasing food safety awareness in the community to assist people in making informed food and dining choices
- reducing the regulatory burden by rewarding businesses that demonstrate high levels of food safety and hygiene through reduced fees, free promotional materials and display of their rating on Council’s website
- allowing Council to focus resources on helping poor performers to improve their food safety culture and food safety standards
- maintaining Brisbane’s world class food safety standards.
Benefits for food business owners
Eat Safe Brisbane is designed to reward good operators, with no additional financial or regulatory burden for your business. Businesses with an Eat Safe star rating of three stars or more receive the following benefits:
- owners can choose to display their star rating online. Details for every food business in Brisbane (name, location, phone number and licence category) are listed in the Eat Safe search
- owners can choose to display their rating at the premises – Council provides free marketing material, including stickers and a certificate
- owners can use the Eat Safe Brisbane logo to promote their star rating to customers (e.g. on the business website or via their social media channels), providing a competitive edge for their business
- fewer audits
- annual fee savings
- customer confidence in their business.
Since the introduction of Eat Safe Brisbane, there has been a significant increase in community awareness for food hygiene standards when dining out.