Innovation Grants Program
The Innovation Grants Program is a Brisbane City Council (Council) initiative to support the growth of creative enterprise in Brisbane.
To grow our reputation as a globally competitive city, Council is committed to ensuring the creative workforce can prosper and thrive in Brisbane. The Innovation Grants Program will provide strategic investment for a creative enterprise, entrepreneur, project or program to grow the creative economy and workforce, and amplify Brisbane's position as a leader in the creative industries.
Applicants can apply for $30,000 per application. The Innovation Grants Program comprises one grant of $30,000 and all applications must demonstrate exceptional levels of cultural, social and economic outcomes for Brisbane.
The Innovation Grants Program funding will be allocated through a competitive process to one applicant for advancing the development of a creative enterprise through one; or a combination of the following:
- an innovative product
- an innovative project
- an innovative collaboration
- an innovative business idea.
Funding round dates
Applications for the next round of this program are closed. This program will return in 2021-22.
The following conditions apply for applications to be eligible for funding through the Innovation Grants Program:
- Applications must be submitted via the online SmartyGrants system.
- Applicants must be 17 years of age or over at the time of applying. Applicants under 18 years of age must have their application co-signed by their legal guardian, confirming they will take responsibility for managing any funding that may be offered to the applicant.
The following categories of individuals and organisations may apply:
- Individuals must:
- be residents of the Brisbane local government area (LGA)
- be permanent residents or Australian citizens
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN) or nominate an accountable auspice body that has an ABN.
- Incorporated organisations based in the Brisbane LGA.
- Unincorporated organisations, auspiced by an incorporated body that is based in the Brisbane LGA.
- Auspicing organisations are limited to supporting a maximum of two applications per round.
- Small businesses with a turnover of less than $2 million per year, based in the Brisbane LGA.
An unincorporated organisation may also apply, under the auspices of an incorporated organisation able to accept legal and financial responsibility for the applicant’s project.
Applicants must not have any overdue Council grant acquittals or outstanding debts with Council.
The Innovation Grants Program is divided into the following assessment phases:
- Phase One: applicant shortlisting
- Phase Two: question and answer session
- Phase Three: professional pitch workshop
- Phase Four: pitch to the panel
- Phase Five: final decision
Shortlisted applicants must note that they are required to attend a number of sessions throughout the assessment period. Please read the grant guidelines for more details about dates and assessment requirements.
Acquittal reports for successful applicants
If your application is successful, you will be required to complete an online acquittal form within 24 months of grant approval notification.
Grant recipients with overdue acquittal reports are not eligible to apply for other Council grants.
If you believe you or your organisation may have an outstanding report from a previous grant funded project, phone Council on 07 3403 8888 and ask to speak to the Grants Unit for advice.
For more information, read the grant guidelines. Alternatively, phone Council on 07 3403 8888 and ask to speak with a Creative Development Officer or the Grants Unit.