State Emergency Service (SES)
SES members are highly skilled, unpaid volunteers who undertake regular ongoing training to help vulnerable members of the community during or after emergencies.
Storm and flood emergencies
Phone 132 500 or log your request online for assistance during storm and flood emergencies.
All other emergencies
Phone triple zero (000) for other emergency situations such as:
- medical emergency
- lost persons
- vehicle accidents
In Brisbane, the major functions of the SES are to:
- provide temporary, emergency storm damage repairs to habitable areas of private residences
- assist in times of flood, including emergency sandbagging (for the elderly, infirm, or members of the public with a disability or medical condition that prevents them from helping themselves), and other emergencies as required
- help Queensland Police Service (QPS) with missing person and forensic searches
- assist QPS with public safety during large public events
- provide community education to help the community to be more resilient.
During a weather event, pre-filled sandbags can be collected from:
- Darra - South Depot, 38 Shamrock Road
- Morningside - Balmoral Depot, 9 Redfern Street
- Newmarket - SES Depot, 66 Wilston Road
- Zillmere- North Depot, 33 Jennings Street
- Lota - Herbert Street, Lota.
Outside storm season (April to September), pre-filled sandbags are only available for collection from these locations when events are forecast (e.g. king tides or storm-related events).