NAIDOC Week celebrations
Brisbane City Council acknowledges the importance of NAIDOC Week to Aboriginal and Torres Strait peoples and supports a variety of events held throughout the city. NAIDOC Week is usually celebrated in the first full week of July each year.
Each year, Council's Indigenous Team provides assistance to community organisations to coordinate and deliver events which:
- celebrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture: the oldest living culture in the world
- acknowledge the contributions and achievements of Australia's First Peoples
- promotion of NAIDOC and its significance to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community
- acknowledge and celebrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, cultures, history and their contributions to the city of Brisbane
- increase awareness of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures in the wider community.
Some past events have included:
- family fun days
- community events
- cultural workshops, exhibitions or celebrations
- skill development
- showcasing cultural performance
NAIDOC Week events are part of July’s Black History Month.
Register your interest
If you are interested in organising a NAIDOC Week event in your community, phone Council on 07 3403 8888 and ask to speak to the Indigenous Team.