Student Environmental Leadership Network
Green Heart Schools' Student Environmental Leadership Network (SELN) is an environment-specific leadership program for year 10 Brisbane students. The program provides students with the knowledge and skills to develop and lead behaviour change projects in their school and local community. Participants are supported to identify environmental issues and work together to plan and implement projects to help make Brisbane's schools and communities cleaner and greener. This free program can help build confidence and leadership in students and achieve sustainable outcomes in schools.
The Lord Mayor, Brisbane Councillors and environmental experts attend scheduled SELN meetings that are held once per term to support students to lead environmental discussions and work together to develop projects, while engaging with sustainability and education professionals.
Keep up to date with what's happening in the 2016 SELN program on Brisbane City Council's Young Brisbane's Facebook page.
Nominations to join the program
Nominations for the 2017 Student Environmental Leadership Network program will open on Thursday 3 November 2016. Spaces are limited so ensure you register early.
Find out how you can be involved in the next program, by emailing the Green Heart Schools team.
Current SELN programs
The 2016 SELN program has been hugely successful and students have been getting creative with their projects. Here are some of the things they’re working on:
- recycled plane flying competition to raise awareness about waste management in schools and find new ways to repurpose materials that would otherwise end up in landfill
- implementation of sustainable vegetable gardens at various schools including native bees for pollination, worm farms for compost and use of produce at the school tuckshop
- switching single use plastic bottles in school tuckshops to reusable bottles
- implementation of recycling bins in school grounds and paper waste bins in classrooms
- collection of soft plastic shopping bags to cut and weave into plastic sleeping mats which are being donated to the homeless
- implementation of Nude Food Days once a week in schools where only lunches without packaging can be brought in
- savings of up to $720 a month by diverting paper waste to recycling instead of general waste.
Photos and feedback from SELN participants
View photos of past participants displaying their feedback below. Alternatively, view the photos in the Student Environmental Leadership Network album in Council's Flickr account.
Previous SELN programs
The 2015 SELN program comprised of 54 year 10 student representatives who implemented:
- 12 waste minimisation and recycling projects
- 2 school gardens projects
- 2 composting projects
- 1 active travel project
- 3 environment clubs initiated
- 2 energy efficiency projects
- 6 projects to increase natural habitat for natural wildlife.
- 16 waste minimisation and recycling projects
- 3 school gardens projects
- 1 active travel project
- 4 water minimisation projects
- 24 school environment clubs initiated / re-energised
- 5 energy saving projects
Watch a video from our 2014 participants on Council's YouTube channel.
To find out more about the SELN program, email the Green Heart Schools team.