Types of street trees
These are the types of trees used in Brisbane City Council's residential street tree planting programs. The Brisbane City Plan 2014 lists tree species suitable for subtropical boulevard and suburban centre plantings.
Trees suitable under powerlines
Trees that are suitable under powerlines include:
- cuban pink trumpet tree (tabebuia pallida)
- golden penda (Xanthostemon chrysanthus)
- ivory curl flower (Buckinghamia celsissima)
- pink bottlebrush (Callistemon 'Eureka')
- poinciana (Delonix regia)
- silver trumpet tree (Tabebuia argentea)
- tulipwood (Harpullia pendula).
Trees on footpaths 4.5 metres or greater
These tree must have more than 1.5 metres clearance from the kerb or footpath strip.
- broad leaved paperbark (Melaleuca quinquinervia)
- jacaranda (Jacaranda mimosifolia)
- poinciana (Delonix regia).
General street trees
General street trees include:
- brush box (Lophostemon confertus)
- bumpy Ash (Flindersia schottiana)
- cassod tree (Cassia siamea)
- crows Ash (Flindersia australis)
- eumundi quandong (Eleocarpus eumundii)
- kaffir bean (schotia brachypetala)
- pink trumpet tree (Tabebuia palmeri syn Handroanthus impetiginosus)
- small leaved lilly pilly (Syzygium leuhmanii)
- tuckeroo (Cupaniopsis anacardioides)
- weeping satinash (Waterhousea floribunda)
- white oak (Grevilleo baileyana)
- yellow poinciana (Peltophorum pterocarpum)
- leopard tree* (Caesalpinea ferrea).
Note: leopard trees* are used as new or replacement trees in city centre significant streetscape of Adelaide Street, between North Quay and Edward Street. They are not planted in residential suburban streets.
Council continues to trial a range of small to medium sized native tree species that may suit Brisbane's footpath environments. The program began in June 2000 with help from the Brisbane Rainforest Action and Information Network.
Species that have shown resilience and appropriate form during the trials include:
- Alectryon connatus
- Dissiliaria baloghioides
- Elaeocarpus obovatus
- Flindersia bennettiana
- Flindersia xanthoxyla
- Guoia semiglauca
- Olea paniculata
- Rapanea variabilis
- Toechima tenax.