What you can do
By following these simple steps, you can stop the mosquito breeding cycle and protect your home, family and pets from mosquitoes.
Protect yourself and your household
You can protect yourself by:
- limiting your time in mosquito-prone areas, especially around dawn and dusk
- wearing loose-fitting, light-coloured clothing with long sleeves and long trousers
- using a personal insect repellent containing picaridin or DEET on exposed skin
- making sure windows are screened
- sleeping under a mosquito bed net
- using mosquito coils, lanterns and insecticide emanators
- switching on a fan as the airflow produced will help keep mosquitoes away.
Remove breeding sites in your yard
You can watch this video and other related videos on Council's YouTube channel.
Mosquitoes will breed in still water on your property including:
- old tyres
- unmaintained swimming pools
- tubs, buckets and containers
- water features
- pot plant bases and self-watering pots
- blocked roof gutters
- poorly-screened rainwater tanks.
Protect your family and your pets by:
- emptying water from pot plant bases every week or fill the bases with sand
- filling self-watering pot cavities with sand or cover the watering hole
- removing or covering all other items and containers that hold water
- draining and covering boats and canoes
- effectively screening rainwater tanks
- always putting screens back in place after removal
- keeping your swimming pool chlorinated
- trimming trees and clearing leaves from roof gutters to prevent pooling and reduce blocked screens
- stocking your pond with native fish as various native fish species eat mosquito larvae and can help stop the breeding cycle.
Maintain your rainwater tanks
Under Queensland's Public Health Regulation 2005, all rainwater tank openings (for example inlet and overflow pipes) must have mosquito-proof screens and flap valves that, when closed, must stop mosquitoes passing through the openings.
Mosquito proof screens:
- must have a mesh size of no more than 1 mm
- when closed, must stop mosquitoes passing through the openings
- must be installed in a way that does not cause or accelerate corrosion.
and must be made of either:
- stainless steel gauze.
Tanks must also be maintained so they continue to remain mosquito-proof. Small gaps around screens should be sealed.