Television, computer and internet facilities
Brisbane City Council libraries offer free internet access and free internet and computer training courses for all library members. Televisions for public viewing are also available in some libraries
Several Council libraries display televisions for public viewing. In addition, Brisbane Square Library has two DVD pods that can be booked to watch Foxtel or FTA.
|Library||Types of programs for public display|
|Banyo Library||News, sport|
|Brisbane Square Library||News, sport, content for young people|
|Carindale Library||News, sport|
|Chermside Library||News, sport|
|Coopers Plains Library||News, sport|
|Garden City Library||News, sport|
|Grange Library||News, sport|
|Indooroopilly Library||News, sport|
|Kenmore Library (two screens)||News, sport|
|Mitchelton Library||News, sport|
|Sunnybank Hills Library||News, sport|
To book a computer at a library:
- use Council's computer reservation service
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888
- phone the National Relay Service on 133 677 (or 133 NRS), a user-friendly service for people with speech impairment, hearing impairment or deafness
Wireless internet access is provided to library members in all Council libraries during opening hours.
You don't need to make a booking to use the internet if you bring your wireless enabled laptop to the library.
For more information, visit the eLibCat library catalogue.
You can attend a range of computer and device training courses at Council libraries free of charge. For times and locations of these courses, ask library staff or check the library events calendar and search for events by library.
The learning lounges are free and allow for longer computer and online access. It is meant to be used for specific learning or research needs, rather than general internet or email. The facility can be used by library members individually or in groups.
Learning lounge locations
Learning lounges are located at the following libraries:
Learning lounge conditions of use
In a learning lounge you can:
- access online resources, including computer tutorials and full text databases
- complete study, homework and further education
- do business, education or private research
- make job and other government or business applications
- access specialist software
Learning lounge computer bookings
The requirements for booking a learning lounge computer are:
- you must have Brisbane City Council library membership. Residents from reciprocal Councils are only entitled to use public internet computer facilities when they have Brisbane Council Council library membership under the reciprocal membership arrangement
- bookings are limited to two hours per day and can be made up to one week in advance
- sessions must be booked with library staff by phone or in person at a Council library
- customers must accept the Internet Use Guidelines at the start of the session.
Word processing services are provided free to all library members and are available at all Council libraries. You can use CD/DVD-ROMs and USB memory sticks in these computers (floppy disks are no longer supported).
To book a computer, refer to internet access.