Joining a library
Library membership is free to Brisbane City Council ratepayers and anyone who lives, works or studies in Brisbane.
To join, visit a Council library. Show proof of your current address and photo ID or proof of signature. If you're under 18 years old, a parent or guardian must provide their ID. You must agree to the terms and conditions of library membership.
Children's cards are available for members 12 years and under.
Library members can borrow up to 20 items at a time for four weeks (28 days) at all Council libraries using their library card. You must show your library card each time you borrow an item.
Find out about renewing library items.
If an item is not available or at another library, you can place the item on hold (reserve) using eLibCat. Alternatively ask a library staff member for help. You can have up to 20 items on hold.
You may be able to access unavailable items through Libraries Australia and use the interlibrary loan service. See library staff for details.
A FastBack book loan is for seven days. You cannot renew these books. This shorter loan period allows a high turnover of popular material. If you don’t think you can return the book within seven days, you can borrow or place a hold on other copies of the book as a standard 28 day loan.
FastBack books must be returned to the same library they were borrowed from.
After hours returns
You can return your library items to any Council library, 24 hours a day at all libraries except for:
- Mt Coot-tha (library hours only)
- Toowong (shopping centre hours only)
- Sunnybank Hills (shopping centre hours only).
Details of Council’s overdue fees are as follows:
- applies to items more than 14 days overdue
- 35 cents per item per day
- you cannot borrow another item until you return all overdue items and pay the fees
- provide your email address to receive reminders
- email reminders are sent three days prior to return and one day after item is overdue
- after 14 days, Council will contact you by mail or phone
- after 28 days, Council will send a final notice
- after 42 days, Council treats the item as lost
- you will be charged the value of the lost item plus processing fee.
Other charges include:
- lost and damaged library cards - $4.80 replacement fee
- photocopying and printing (black and white) - $0.20 for each A4 page and $0.30 for each A3 page
- holds and interlibrary loans - $0.80 per item.
Advise Council if your personal details have changed by:
- phoning 07 3403 8888
- visiting your local library
- visiting libraries and selecting:
- Library catalogue
- Find out about your Library Membership
- How do I update my contact details?
To verify a change to your address, you will need to:
- show library staff proof of your residential address; and
- photo ID; or
- proof of signature.
To verify a name change, you will need to:
- show proof of your previous name and new name.
All Council libraries provide members with free word processing and internet.