New Farm Library upgrade
Brisbane City Council is pleased to advise the New Farm Library upgrade project commenced in mid-October 2017 and will be completed in early 2018, weather and construction conditions permitting. This upgrade is part of Council’s commitment to creating new lifestyle and leisure opportunities and delivering vibrant, liveable communities.
|Address||135 Sydney Street, New Farm|
|Project outcomes||Improve services at New Farm Library including enhanced accessibility features and improved internal and external facilities|
Start of construction
About the project
The works will improve services at New Farm Library including enhanced accessibility features and improved internal and external facilities, including a new outdoor terrace.
The upgrade involves:
- construction of a new covered outdoor terrace including stairs and an accessible ramp
- construction of a new reading space, program room and children’s area
- internal improvements including the installation of new carpets and furniture and an upgrade of the toilet facilities
- construction of a new path along the north east boundary of the building
- widening the existing car park to improve accessibility
- installation of new landscaping.
- New Farm Library upgrade project plan (PDF - 4.46Mb)
- New Farm Library upgrade project plan (Word - 1.02Mb).
Impacts during construction
It is expected the library will remain operational for the majority of the construction works. Council will notify library customers in advance if a closure is required.
For the safety of the community, the site will be fenced during the works and some of the car parks may be closed to allow construction activities to take place. The carpark may require intermittent closures to allow works to take place safely. Appropriate signage will be in place to provide library customers advanced notice of these closures.
Some trees will require removal or trimming to facilitate the extension at the rear of the library. The removal will be undertaken in consultation with Council’s arborists and will be offset with planting within the local catchment area, in accordance with Council’s offset planting policy.
Asbestos containing materials were identified at New Farm Library. In mid-September 2017 ahead of construction works commencing, Council engaged a licensed contractor to remove the asbestos in accordance with all health and safety procedures.
During construction the local community may experience construction noise, low levels of vibration and dust. Every effort will be made to minimise disruption during this work. Advance notification of particularly noisy works or out of hours works will be provided to properties within the works area.
Construction works started in mid-October 2017 and are expected for completion in early 2018, weather and construction conditions permitting.
Works to upgrade the library will be undertaken from Monday to Saturday, between 7am and 5pm.
For more information
If you would like to provide comments, ask questions or find out more about the New Farm Library upgrade, you can:
- call the project team on 1800 884 681 (during business hours)
- call Council on 07 3403 8888 (outside of business hours)
- email the project team
- write to:
New Farm Library upgrade project team
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001