Milton Urban Common
Brisbane City Council is pleased to release the final concept plan for a new urban common park in Milton.
The much-loved inner-city suburb of Milton is evolving into a thriving urban hub for businesses and residents. To support growth in this area, a new urban common park is being built on the corner of Manning Street and Railway Terrace in Milton, adding to the more than 2100 parks across our city.
|Address||Corner of Manning Street and Railway Terrace, Milton|
|Project outcomes||A new urban common park for a variety of uses|
The community submitted feedback on the concept plan in March 2018. The final concept plan is now available to view.
View the final concept plan:
View the project newsletters:
About the project
Brisbane City Council is committed to keeping Brisbane clean and green, making our city liveable and sustainable for future generations.
The park will be able to be used for all kinds of recreation, from fitness to relaxing with a picnic; with the inclusion of green shady spots to have lunch, feature seating walls, sheltered tables and ample open space for recreational activities.
The works will be undertaken in stages, with the first stage of works proposing to deliver:
- green open space
- a large area of turf that will allow flexible uses, such as informal play and recreation, and will be framed by planting and feature seating.
- subtropical landscaping, including large feature trees and lush gardens
- seating walls and a sheltered area with bench seating and tables
- new accessible paths to allow easy pedestrian travel
- a new fully accessible toilet block to provide much needed public amenities.
Based on community feedback and site investigations, features that have been incorporated into the concept plan include:
- a swing to replace the table tennis table
- an additional shade structure
- public art
- a drinking fountain with a dog water bowl
- additional large tree plantings
- increased garden space, reducing the amount of pavement.
The park area is located on the corner of Manning Street and Railway Terrace, Milton. The land was acquired by Council in 2014 after the Milton Station neighbourhood plan was developed, and the space is currently a turfed area. The creation of Milton Urban Common will take place in stages, with the first stage beginning in 2018.
Future stages of works will expand the park area by closing a small section of Manning Street, as detailed in the Milton Station neighbourhood plan. Council will work closely with the community to plan and deliver this work in future years.
Milton Urban Common will deliver a space that:
- increases accessible green space
- promotes a sense of community
- encourages recreational activity in our wonderful subtropical climate.
The Milton Urban Common project is part of Council's commitment to keeping Brisbane clean and green, making our city liveable and sustainable for future generations.
|Early 2018||Community feedback on the concept plan for the first stage of works was collected via an online survey and information kiosks.|
|Mid-2018||The final concept design announced to the community.|
|2019||Works due to be completed in 2019.|
Artist impression of Milton Urban Common
View the Milton Urban Common project artist impressions as a slideshow, or view the photos individually as part of Council's Flickr account.
If you would like to find out more about the project, you can:
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888
- email the project team.