Renewing Great Brisbane Gardens project
Both parks will be upgraded and enhanced to be more attractive to users and visitors.
The Renewing Great Brisbane Gardens program demonstrates Brisbane City Council’s commitment to offering world-class lifestyle and leisure opportunities to Brisbane residents and visitors.
Council has a network of more than 2000 parks to keep our city clean, green and sustainable for our children, and their children to follow.
New Farm Park upgrades
New Farm Park’s renowned heritage rose gardens will be revitalised by doubling the number of rose bushes, installing irrigation and creating new garden beds.
Stage 1 - complete
Approximately 700 roses were planted in current garden beds in August 2017.
Currently underway, stage 2 of the project involves:
- extending existing rose garden beds
- constructing new rose garden beds
- planting approximately 2000 new plants
- installing a drip irrigation system into existing and new garden beds
- installing six new arbours
- associated landscaping works.
Council identified two small Poinciana trees needed to be removed to accommodate the new rose garden beds. Tree removal will be offset in accordance with Council policies and relevant legislative requirements and every effort will be made to minimise environment impacts during construction.
Starting in early June, additional stage 2 works have been identified to further enhance New Farm Park by bringing the area around the rotunda in line with the heritage values of the site and refurbishing the existing picnic area to maximise potential use.
These additional works include:
- removal of a garden bed near the rotunda, to bring back in line with the heritage values of the site
- paving and turfing where the garden bed was removed
- relocation of four tables within in the existing picnic area
- relocation of a pair of bins in the existing picnic area
- installation of two long tables under the existing shade sails
- construction of a small seating wall (less than 500mm high) around the picnic area.
All stage 2 works are expected to be completed in August 2018, weather permitting.
Construction will generally take place between 7am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience during this time. Access to and through the park will be maintained at all times. For your safety, please look for signage marking possible access changes during construction.
View the project plan:
- New Farm Park Rose Gardens Concept Plan (PDF - 1.31Mb)
- New Farm Park Rose Gardens Concept Plan (Word - 484kb).
Kangaroo Point parklands upgrades
Kangaroo Point Cliffs parklands will be upgraded to maintain its appeal as one of the city’s premier park destinations.
|Stage 1||Free Wi-Fi was rolled out in the Kangaroo Point Cliffs area as part of the program in May 2017|
|Stage 2||Design for park upgrades to start in late 2018, with construction due to be completed in late 2019.|
If you would like to ask questions or find out more about the New Farm Park rose gardens - stage 2 project, you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 669 416 (during business hours)
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (outside of business hours)
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- write to:
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.
For more information about The Renewing Great Brisbane Gardens project, phone Council on 07 3403 8888.