Amble About Albion Heritage Trail
The Amble About Albion Heritage Trail takes you on a journey through a range of places and events that have shaped Albion's history, including:
- early European settlement
- war-time activity during World War II
- its prominence as an industrial centre in the past
- commercial success reflected in the historic Sandgate Road buildings.
Some documents on this page need Adobe Reader, Microsoft Word or Microsoft Word Viewer installed on your computer to view or print them. Some documents may also have a large file size and could take some time to download.
You can download:
- Brisbane Heritage Trails - Amble About Albion Heritage Trail brochure (PDF - 4.4Mb)
- Brisbane Heritage Trails - Amble About Albion Heritage Trail brochure (Word - 654kb).
Amble About Albion Heritage Trail map and table
There are 18 points of interest along the Amble About Albion Heritage Trail. The trail begins at the Albion Hotel on Sandgate Road, up the hill to Whytecliffe and then down to Crosby Park. It weaves through Albion's historic suburban streets and then travels back along Sandgate Road to Albion's historic commercial centre.
For more information about each point of interest, download the Amble About Albion Heritage Trail brochure in your preferred format. The brochure map includes additional information such as the location of public transport, public toilets and access for people with limited mobility (by way of gradient ranges). Some sections of this 2.7 kilometre trail are steep and may not be accessible for people with limited mobility.
Use the Google map and information boxes to navigate the heritage trail, or alternatively use the heritage trail table which includes the point of interest number, name, address and description. The start point of the trail (on the map) is marked with a 'person' icon.
View Albion Heritage Trail in a larger map.
|1.||The Albion Hotel||300 Sandgate Road||The Albion Hotel was established in 1864 and the suburb is believed to have been named after it.|
|2.||Albion Flour Mill||60 Hudson Road||The historic flour mill that was built by the Gillespie Brothers in 1931, was tragically destroyed by fire in November 2013.|
|3.||Dunaverty||21 Birkbeck Street||One of the unusual features of this 1880s house is the personalised detailing throughout the house that reflects its first owner’s Scottish background.|
|4.||Hampton Court||436 Sandgate Road||This set of 1938 flats is a rare example of Functionalist architecture in Brisbane.|
|5.||Highlands||469 Sandgate Road||This is one of the earliest remaining houses in the area and was constructed in 1869.|
|6.||Whytecliffe||469 Sandgate Road||This grand house was built in 1876 for Queensland’s first Crown Solicitor, Robert Little.|
|7.||O'Driscoll Hall||469 Sandgate Road||Following the Catholic Church’s purchase of the property, St Columban’s Boys’ School was established in 1928 and this large brick building was constructed.|
|8.||Crosby Park and Chinese Market||Crosby Road||In the late 19th Century, beside what is now known as Crosby Park, were several Chinese Market Gardens that supplied the town with most of their fresh fruit and vegetables.|
|9.||Albion Park Racecourse||Adjacent to Crosby Park||Before the adjacent racecourse was established, the site was used as an amusement park in the late 19th Century, known as the Breakfast Creek Sports Ground.|
|10.||The US Chemical Warfare Service||Crosby Park||During World War II, Crosby Park was used by the US Army Chemical Warfare Service.|
|11.||Ellen Street Workers' Cottage||Ellen Street||Ellen Street is one of Albion’s most historic streets with a streetscape of small workers’ cottages built in the late 1880s.|
|12.||The Manchester Unity Independent Order of Oddfellows Lodge Hall (MUIOOF)||12 Gore Street||As a benevolent society, the MUIOOF provided financial assistance to its members and their dependants in times of great need.|
|13.||Stephan's Saddlery||201 Sandgate Road||CA Stephan established his successful saddlery business on this site circa 1895 which continued to manufacture and sell horse-related products here well into the 1950s.|
|14.||Albion Building||297 Sandgate Road||The Albion Building was constructed in 1927 at a time when Albion was experiencing an era of growth and prosperity.|
|15.||Wyllie's Buildings||299 Sandgate Road||This attractive brick building was built between 1910 and 1911 for successful Albion hardware retailer, JR Wyllie & Sons.|
|16.||Albion Post Office||349 Sandgate Road||This building was once the Albion Post Office and was constructed between 1925 and 1926.|
|17.||Albion Public Hall||344 Sandgate Road||Built in 1887, this public hall became the centre for Albion’s social events and entertainment.|
|18.||State Butcher shop||336 Sandgate Road||In 1917 this shop became one of the first State Butcher shops in Queensland, a government scheme intended to stabilise prices of household staples.|