Renovations and licence amendments
If you have a food business licence and want to make a significant amendment you may be required to submit an amendment to current food business licence application.
This particularly applies if:
- you are planning to expand the floor area, storage areas, preparation areas of the kitchen; or
- you are making structural changes/additions to any fixtures, fittings or equipment in the food making business areas
- you are making changes to the nature of the food business, for example introducing catering or food manufacturing activities into an existing café/restaurant.
Examples where an amendment application would be required include:
- a restaurant would like to significantly expand the kitchen area into an adjoining shop to provide more storage room. The expanded area, as it was not previously approved, would require the operator to submit an amendment to current food business licence application.
- a cafe used to make sandwiches and salads but would like to start making burgers and hot chips. The business needs to install new cooking equipment and a mechanical exhaust canopy. These new structural additions require additions require the operator to submit an amendment to current food business licence application, as they were not previously approved.
- a restaurant currently only offering dine-in meals is expanding their activities to include offsite catering.
As a general guide, fees that may apply for the 2021-22 financial year are outlined below.
|Size of premises||Significant amendment|
|Less than 250 square metres||$404.95|
|250 square metres to 1000 square metres||$662.40|
|Over 1000 square metres||$878.65|
These fees do not attract GST.
Application for amendment to current food business licence
- Ensure any alterations or equipment changes meet the requirements in the design and fit-out guide for food businesses located on the application process and assessment page of the Local Government Toolbox website.
- Apply online using the Food Business Approvals online form and pay with Visa or Mastercard for your amendment to current food business licence application. The application will take approximately 20 business days to be assessed. Note that you should not be operating the kitchen while any major alterations are taking place.
- You are required to contact Council to book an appointment for an Environmental Health Officer to inspect the food business prior to the amendment being granted.
Alternatively you can apply by completing the hard copy forms.
Changing permit details - not significant
If you need to change details relating to your current permit other than contact details, you can phone Council’s Business Hotline on 133BNE (133 263) to amend.
Changing contact details
You can write to Council online to change the postal address or contact details for your food licence. Make sure to quote the location of your business and the number of your Food Licence.
If you plan to relocate your food business, you will need to apply for a new food business licence. Follow the application process for the relevant food business:
For further information phone Council's Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263) 24 hours a day, seven days a week.