Proposed Health, Safety and Amenity Local Law 2021
As part of the commitment to the health, safety and amenity of Brisbane’s growing community, Council is proposing to introduce the Health, Safety and Amenity Local Law 2021 (the proposed local law). The proposed local law will repeal and replace the Health, Safety and Amenity Local Law 2009.
The proposed local law aims to protect standards of community health and safety and enhance the local amenity by:
- regulating activities which will or may unreasonably interfere with standards of community health, safety and the local amenity
- minimise the adverse impacts of those activities on standards of community health, safety and the local amenity.
Why is a new local law being proposed?
The proposed local law, repeals the Health, Safety and Amenity Local Law 2009 and aims to:
- introduce a new regulatory framework for fire pits and braziers in Brisbane
- extend odour provisions in relation to waste containers to residential premises
- provide clarity about camping on Council controlled roads
- clarify the existing regulatory framework for:
- shopping trolleys
- unsightly objects, materials and vegetation
- hazardous fencing material and electric fencing
- swimming pools, portable wading pools and ponds
- update enforcement provisions for the local law.
The proposed local law also seeks to amend the Public Land and Council Assets Local Law 2014 by relocating the abandoned vehicle provisions to the proposed local law.
Further the proposed local law adopts modernised drafting and provides for a regulatory framework that allows Council to respond to advancements in technology, industry innovation and changes in community expectations.
Public consultation will be open from Thursday, 17 June to Wednesday 7 July 2021.
During the submission period, please refer to the public notice for details on how to make a submission, and view a copy of the proposed local law.
|15 June 2021||Council proposed to make the Health, Safety and Amenity Local Law 2021|
|17 June – 7 July||Public consultation including an opportunity to have your say on the proposed changes|
|17 June – 14 July||Queensland Government review|
For more information about the proposed local law, you can:
- email the project team
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888
- write to:
Compliance and Regulatory Services
Lifestyle and Community Services
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.