Spray paint and chemical spraying complaints
Activities involving paint and chemical spraying can cause nuisances in our communities. At home, a small amount of non-commercial and infrequent spray painting may be allowed if no environmental nuisance is created. Health effects can be serious and all commercial spray painting should occur in an approved commercial spray booth.
When investigating a spray paint or chemical spraying complaint, Brisbane City Council considers the:
- amount of spray drift being emitted
- duration and rate of emission and the spray drift characteristics and qualities
- sensitivity of the environment into which the spray drift is being emitted and the impact that it may have.
Ways you can reduce spray drift include:
- consider weather conditions before starting jobs such as spray painting and chemical spraying - don't spray on days with strong and gusty winds
- use accurate spraying equipment that reduces overspray
- use a brush on small jobs
- work indoors, where possible
- follow the manufacturer's guidelines
- erect physical barriers such as sheets or hessian
- use a commercial spray booth.