Express assessment is a streamlined process that provides you with a response from Brisbane City Council within five days. It is available for the following sign types:
- created awning fascia sign
- ground sign
- projecting sign
- roof sign less than five square metres
- signwritten roof sign
- vertical banner freestanding sign
- wall sign
If the proposed sign location has a constraint such as heritage, commercial character building, or is in the city or Valley malls, you need to submit a full assessment.
Payment of an applicaton fee and annual permit fee per advertisement is required upon lodgement of your application with Council.
How to apply
1. Supporting documents
Prepare the attachments required for your online application as Word, PDF or JPG files. Required attachments include:
- site plans with location of all existing structures and proposed signage
- sign/s design and construction details (either photos or drawings showing size, shape etc.)
- Department of Main Roads approval if proposed sign/s are proposed to be exhibited on or visible from a State controlled road or motorway.
2. Application for Advertising Sign Approvals
Complete the Application for Advertising Sign Approvals online form including:
- uploading your supporting documents
- paying the application fee using a Visa or Mastercard.
Alternatively, you can complete the hard copy form.
Right to review
If you are given an approval that is subject to conditions, or your application is refused you may apply to Council for a review of the decision. The application for a review must be made within 20 business days from the day on which the decision notice is given to you.
There is currently no fee for an application for review.
For advice specific to your situation, contact Council's Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263).