Small business signs
If you carry out a self-assessment to make sure you comply with the relevant requirements, you will not need anything in writing from Brisbane City Council. If your proposed sign does not comply, you need to apply for a full assessment and be granted a license before you can display your sign.
A range of signs are permitted for small business including:
- awning fascia sign
- blind or canopy sign
- temporary bunting and streamers
- commercial flag
- business promotion
- information sign
- under awning sign
- window sign.
An awning fascia sign is an advertisement painted on or attached to the front of an awning or verandah.
A permitted awning fascia sign must:
- be contained within the outline of a fascia
- not exceed 600 millimetres in height.
A blind or canopy sign is an advertisement painted on or attached to solid or flexible material that hangs from the edge of an awning, verandah or wall.
A permitted blind or canopy sign must:
- be compatible with the blind or canopy and building that it is displayed on
- have a minimum clearance of 2.4 metres between any rigid part of the blind and the footway surface
- have a minimum 2.1 metre clearance between any flexible part of the blind and the footway surface.
Temporary bunting and streamers is the short-term use of bunting and streamers (as described elsewhere in the subordinate local law) for an event such as a fete, fair, festival or other special event, not including an election campaign.
Permitted temporary bunting and streamers must:
- be displayed for a period of no more than two weeks before, and on the day or days of the event
- be removed during, or immediately at the end of the event.
A commercial flag is a cloth or similar non-rigid fabric hung from a pole to advertise or identify a commercial establishment.
A permitted commercial flag must:
- have an area not greater than 5 square metres
- not be more than 6.5 metres above the ground.
A business promotion sign is a temporary advertisement promoting an auction, retail sale, business promotion or similar event.
Only one business promotion sign can be displayed on each street frontage of the property and the sign must:
- have a maximum area of four square metres
- be exhibited only on the premises where the advertised activity is taking place
- not utilise electronic display components.
An information sign is an advertisement that provides information:
- for the use of facilities or features of a site (for example, entrance or parking sign, menu board for a drive-through); or
- about the intended future use or development of a site or facility (for example, future school site, stormwater upgrade project sign).
A permitted information sign must:
- have a maximum area of 2 square metres
- contain no commercial or corporate advertising other than the name, logo or slogan of an organisation having tenure of the property or control of the land where the sign is displayed
- display the name or logo no larger than one third of the sign area
- the number of information signs on a site will be limited to those considered by Council to be necessary to communicate the information.
An under awning sign is an advertisement suspended under an awning or verandah.
A permitted under awning sign must:
- be oriented at right angles to the building frontage
- be no greater than 2.5 metres long, 0.5 metres high and 0.3 metres deep
- not be longer than 75% of the width of the awning or verandah
- not project beyond the outer edge of the awning or verandah
- have a minimum clearance of 2.4 metres between its lowest part and the footway surface
- be centrally located along the frontage of the shop or tenancy it advertises, and in the case of a shopping arcade, one additional such sign may be displayed at the arcade entrance
- not be closer than 3 metres to another under awning sign, nor closer than 1.5 metres to a side boundary of a property or tenancy.
A window sign is an advertisement displayed on or through a display window.
A permitted window sign must not exceed 25% of the area of the glass panel or panels on which it is exhibited.