You need to provide to Brisbane City Council a Waste and Sanitary management plan for your event which outlines the bins, toilets and other environmental strategies that will be implemented. This plan should also include details about post event cleansing.
Events put extra demand on Council's public litter and recycling bins. As the event organiser, you need to supply additional bins. Council's Entertainment Venues and Events Subordinate Local Law provides a formula for the calculation of the number of bins and toilets to be provided at an entertainment event.
Access the Amenities (bins and toilets) calculator to use this formula or alternatively, the waste, recycling and litter control fact sheet can guide you on how to manage waste:
You can reduce waste and increase recycling through actions such as:
- use recyclable materials to package take away food products
- place the rubbish and recycling bins next to each other
- clearly sign the rubbish and recycling bins to show where items should be disposed
You may need to supply additional toilet facilities specifically for attendees of the event. These toilet facilities must be:
- accessible for people with disabilities
- cleaned and re-stocked regularly
- located away from food service or food storage areas
- weather protected
- fitted with sharps disposal facilities
- well-lit so as not to become a security or safety risk
Council's Entertainment Venues and Events Subordinate Local Law provides a formula for the calculations of the number of sanitary conveniences to be provided at an entertainment event.
Access the Amenities (bins and toilets) calculator to use this formula or alternatively, the toilet facilities at events fact sheet can guide you on how many ablution facilities you may need for your event:
Other things to consider for your sanitary management plan include:
- obtaining a manufacturer's statement of compliance for any portable toilets supplied at the event
- providing baby change facilities if the event is likely to attract families
- prepare a cleaning schedule to regularly service the toilets throughout the event to ensure they are clean and that a continuous supply of water, soap paper hand towel and toilet paper is provided
- where portable chemical type units or effluent holding tanks are used for events longer than four hours, they must be located so that they can be pumped out during the event
Phone Council's Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263) to find out other ways we can help support you to minimise your waste during an event.