Food business licences

If you are starting a new food business or taking over an existing food business you may need a food business licence. Brisbane City Council offers information for new and existing food licenses, and the permits required for footpath and outdoor dining.

""Starting a new food business

Find out the requirements for home based food business, market stalls, mobile vehicles, roadside vending, cafes, restaurants, takeaways, food manufacturing and catering. You can also find the different rules that apply to non-profit and government organisations.

""Taking over an existing food business

If you are thinking about taking over an existing licensed food business, find out how to research the food business and purchase a pre-sale inspection report. Licences are not transferable and you will need to apply for a new licence. Learn about the different requirements if you are renovating the premises.

""Information for existing food licensees

Learn about the Eat Safe rating program and licence renewals. Find out Council's requirements for renovations to premises and adding new food services. All licensees must nominate a Food Safety Supervisor and some need to have an accredited Food safety Program.

""Footpath dining

A food business that provides tables and chairs on the footpath for outdoor dining needs a Footpath Dining permit. Find out the process and how to apply.

""Outdoor dining in malls

You need a licence to have outdoor dining in the Queen Street and Valley Malls. Find out the fees and how to apply.

""Food business forms

Quick access to all the application forms for food businesses.