Renewals and licence withdrawals
A food business licence is valid for 12 months from the date of issue. If you have a current licence you can renew, or you can inform Brisbane City Council is you choose to withdraw your licence if a new operator is taking over.
Renewal invoices are issued at least 60 days before the due date. Part payments for renewal fees cannot be accepted.
If the licence renewal has not been paid on the due date, a licence restoration application will be sent to the licensee. Payment for restoration must be made within 30 days after the expiry.
As a general guide, the following renewal fees apply for a food business in a fixed location and mobile food premises during the 2018-19 financial year.
|Eat Safe rating||Up to 250 square metres (including mobile food vehicles and annual food stalls)||Up to 1000 square metres||Over 1000 square metres|
These fees do not attract GST.
Food businesses that meet the Food Act 2006 definition of a 'bed and breakfast facility' may apply for a 40% reduction of the food business licence renewal. To be eligible, the business must:
- have a current food business licence
- provide accommodation and breakfast to guests
- live at the premises that provides the accommodation and breakfast to guests
- not provide any other meals or snacks apart from breakfast
- have a current Eat Safe Brisbane rating of 3 stars or above.
To apply for the discount, food business licensees that meet the criteria are required to complete the Bed and Breakfast Facility Statutory Declaration and return it to Council.
- Bed and Breakfast Facility Statutory Declaration - CC11023 (PDF - 122kb)
- Bed and Breakfast Facility Statutory Declaration - CC11023 (Word - 143kb).
The previous owner or occupier of the food premises must use the Licence or Permit surrender application online form to inform Brisbane City Council that the food business licence needs to be surrendered (or withdrawn) as the business is closing or a new operator is taking over. Note that refunds are not given for paid renewals.
For further information call Council's Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263) 24 hours a day, seven days a week.