Renovations and licence amendments
If you have a food business licence and want to make a significant amendment, meaning structural changes, to the premises, you may be required to submit an application for food business design assessment (amendment) application.
This particularly applies if:
- you are planning to expand the floor area, storage areas, preparation areas of the kitchen; or
- you are making structural changes/additions to any fixtures, fittings or equipment in the food making business areas.
Examples where a design assessment application (amendment) would be required include:
- a restaurant would like to significantly expand the kitchen area into an adjoining shop to provide more storage room. The expanded area, as it was not previously approved, would require the operator to submit a food business design assessment application.
- a cafe used to make sandwiches and salads but would like to start making burgers and hot chips. The business needs to install new cooking equipment and a mechanical exhaust canopy. These new structural additions require additions require the operator to submit a food business design assessment application, as they were not previously approved.
As a general guide, fees that may apply for the 2018-19 financial year include:
|Size of premises||Design application|
|Less than 250 square metres||$380.85|
|250 square metres to 1000 square metres||$622.95|
|Over 1000 square metres||$826.25|
These fees do not attract GST.
Application for design assessment (amendment)
- Prepare plans of the proposed alteration that you can submit with your online application. Requirements for a licensed kitchen are detailed in the design and fit-out guide for food businesses located on the application process and assessment page of the Local Government Toolbox website.
- Use the Application for Food Business Approvals online form to apply and pay with Visa or Mastercard for your Design Assessment (alterations to an existing food business design or fit-out box)
The application will take approximately 20 business days to be assessed.
Note that you should not be operating the kitchen while any major alterations are taking place.
- When the alterations have been completed, you are required to contact Council to book an appointment for an Environmental Health Officer to inspect the new fit-out or alterations.
Alternatively you can apply by completing the hard copy forms.
Changing permit details - not significant
If you need to change details relating to your current permit other than contact details, you can phone Council’s Business Hotline on 133BNE (133 263) to amend.
Changing contact details
You can write to Council online to change the postal address or contact details for your food licence. Make sure to quote the location of your business and the number of your Food Licence.
If you plan to relocate your food business, you will need to apply for a new food business licence. Follow the application process for the relevant food business:
For further information phone Council's Business Hotline on 133 BNE (133 263) 24 hours a day, seven days a week.