Laws and permits for residents

Brisbane City Council administers and enforces regulations around keeping of animals, noise, pollution, vegetation, fences and health and safety. Council sometimes requires permits for these and other areas. Find out when you require a permit and how to apply.


Noise restrictions and complaints

Council is responsible for investigating some noise complaints and on-the-spot fines may be issued. Learn about the acceptable noise levels and complaints. 

Animals and pets

Requirements for keeping dogs, cats, poultry and horses and for operating a pet shop in Brisbane.

Vegetation and the local law

Find out about if your property has protected vegetation and what that means under Council's Natural Assets Local Law 2003.

Footpaths and driveways

Council has regulations for the way you conduct work on footways. Find information on using or closing a road or footway and how to obtain a driveway permit.

Laws and permits for businesses

If you run a business, you may need to apply for licences and permits from Council. You may also need planning and building approval to start or expand your business.

Operating a home business

Council has planning criteria if you are thinking of starting a home business including number of employees, signage, car parking and hours of operation.

Swimming pools and spas

Find approval requirements for constructing swimming pools and spas in Brisbane.

Suburban Construction Management Taskforce

Council has a dedicated Suburban Construction Management Taskforce (SCMT) that responds to issues that arise from developments under construction.

Residential parking rules

Brisbane residential areas have parking rules in place to ensure parked or stopped vehicles do not affect local access or traffic flow. Find out how to report illegal parking.