BNE Local and Liveable – Park Road, Milton
To kick-start BNE Local and Liveable projects, our focus is to test activation ideas in the Park Road precinct mid-year in 2021. After an initial 8-week installation period, community feedback and a site evaluation will help to determine what happens to the projects' activation elements.
To identify potential activation ideas and help shape the development of an initial site plan, Council undertook a site assessment to understand opportunities and constraints and consulted with businesses near the project area on their ideas for the precinct.
In this first season of BNE Local and Liveable, Council is testing a variety of pre-designed streetscape elements. For the Park Road precinct project, an additional dimension is being added with a focus on supporting the night-time economy in the precinct with lighting and activation of the park.
About the project area
The project area is focused in the vicinity of Adam Smiddy Park on the corner of Park Road and Gordon Street. This location will provide a benefit to the whole of precinct experience.
Download a copy of the project area:
- Park Road, Milton demonstration project - project area (PDF - 3.6Mb)
- Park Road, Milton demonstration project - project area (Word -2.6Mb ).
Temporary activation ideas for Park Road, Milton BNE Local and Liveable project
The activation ideas to be tested in the project area are:
- Festoon lighting under the shade sail and up-lighting to five trees along the park edge.
- Outdoor lounges and market umbrellas.
- Planters with sub-tropical plants.
- A designer pop-up plaza on the corner of Park Rd and Gordon St, and coordinated bunting under the shade sail.
- Prototype wayfinding installation for the precinct.
Site evaluation and research. Completed early 2021.
Prepare project elements for testing
Sourcing and design of activation ideas. Completed April to June 2021.
Milton project installation
Staged installation of initial activation ideas. Completed July 2021.
Community feedback - Current stage
Community use and feedback from July to August 2021.
Project evaluation and next steps
Evaluate community feedback with site evaluation info to inform next steps in September 2021.