The Gap Neighbourhood Plan
On Tuesday 14 May 2019, Brisbane City Council adopted an amendment to Brisbane City Plan 2014 to incorporate provisions of The Gap Neighbourhood Plan. This amendment is now in effect.
From 30 July to 10 September 2018, Council released the draft plan for community comment.
Key outcomes of community input reflected in the draft plan include:
- maintaining The Gap’s traditional suburban, low-density character
- protecting the environment and greenspace, including several significant trees
- encouraging redevelopment of The Gap Village shopping centre to provide better walking connections with adjoining parks and residential areas
- allowing diverse housing types (up to three storeys in height) in a limited area near The Gap Village shopping centre. This will allow for residents to continue to live in The Gap as their needs change over time
- providing more guidance about what development may occur on sites already zoned for residential use. This will be done by outlining the type of housing suitable for the sites and clearly mapping ecological features to be protected.
- The Gap Draft Neighbourhood Plan full document (PDF - 13.9Mb)
- The Gap Draft Neighbourhood Plan full document (Word - 11.7Mb)
- The Gap Draft Neighbourhood Plan submissions report (PDF - 3.5Mb)
- The Gap Draft Neighbourhood Plan submissions report (Word - 3.3Mb).
Other activities happening in The Gap
Opportunities to be involved in your community do not end with the adoption of the neighbourhood plan. There are other ways that you can get involved and help make the vision for The Gap a reality.
Throughout the neighbourhood planning process, we heard how unique The Gap is defined by its natural setting with bushland on all sides and 40 parks and open space areas. Council has a number of existing initiatives to make the most of these natural areas and open spaces:
- Council undertakes restoration and revegetation activities and volunteer groups contribute to habitat restoration. To get involved please see the list of Western Habitat Brisbane Groups.
- An upgrade of the Mt Coot-tha Precinct will include improved walking trails and connections to surrounding suburbs such as The Gap.
- Council runs a range of classes, workshops, activities and events in The Gap and surrounds, such as mountain biking lessons at The Gap Creek Reserve Picnic Area. Check out what’s on in your local area and Council’s Active and Healthy Program for free or low-cost activities at local parks.
The Gap Neighbourhood Plan area
View The Gap Neighbourhood Plan area in a larger map.
You can also download the:
|Mid-2016 to 2017||
Background research - in summary:
Release of draft strategy document - in summary:
Draft Neighbourhood Plan
Council prepared an amendment to Brisbane City Plan 2014 based on community input and further technical reviews of the area. The Queensland Government completed a state interest review and approved the draft plan for public notification.
30 July-10 September 2018
Release of the draft statutory neighbourhood plan for public consultation.
|November 2018-March 2019||Council made changes to the draft neighbourhood plan following a review of the submissions. The Queensland Government then completed a second state interest review.|
Adoption of the statutory neighbourhood plan and inclusion in Brisbane City Plan 2014.
Brisbane's Future Blueprint
After input from more than 100,000 residents, in June 2018 Council released Brisbane's Future Blueprint with eight principles to guide Brisbane’s future growth. One of these principles is creating a city of neighbourhoods where residents are close to the services they need and the lifestyle and leisure options they want.
Council creates plans like The Gap Neighbourhood Plan to help make this long-term vision a reality.
Register for updates
You can register to receive regular email updates about:
To receive information about Council's projects and programs, including invitations to have your say, sign up to Council's Your City, Your Say.
For more information about The Gap Neighbourhood Plan, you can: