Kenrose Street, Carina Village Precinct Project
Brisbane City Council is investing $600,000 in a streetscape improvement project to revitalise the neighbourhood shopping precinct on Kenrose Street, Carina.
Council is working with the local community to revitalise the Kenrose Street shopping strip, making sure it is an attractive, connected and safe centre for locals and visitors.
This is part of Council’s commitment to create a city of neighbourhoods and improving the amenity of local retail villages with better paths, trees and seating, plus new creative outcomes.
Council launched the Kenrose Street, Carina Village Precinct Project in early August 2019. The local community was encouraged to become involved in the planning for the improvement proposal by providing feedback via an online survey and by sharing ideas in person at the information kiosk held in August 2019.
- footpath upgrades to improve accessibility, maintenance and visual amenity
- pedestrian crossing upgrades by realigning existing pedestrian crossings, adding pedestrian refuges and reconstructing existing ramps to improve accessibility
- build-outs in the road carriageway with tree planting to enhance visual and physical amenity, shade, traffic calming and pedestrian safety
- groundcover plantings in garden beds
- new street furniture
- artwork murals on Bradnor and Ramsden Streets designed from the community workshop (subject to property owner agreement).
The community was invited to share their ideas for the public space improvements for the project during September and November 2019. The feedback helped inform the rationale for improvements to the centre. The intent of the creative outcomes is to promote a sense of connection for the whole centre and improve the centre's identity and celebrate local character.
The creative outcome for the site is proposed to be two murals: one on Bradnor Street and the other on Ramsden Street, which bookend the site. The murals will be informed by local community stories through a community workshop with local business and community groups. The mural artworks are subject to property owner agreement.
For more information on the Kenrose Street, Carina Village Precinct Project, you can:
- phone Council's Contact Centre on 07 3403 8888
- email the project team.