Demolishing, removal and relocating | Brisbane City Council

Demolishing, removal and relocating

""Before demolishing, removing or relocating a property, you should find out the key facts about the property and then use the following information to find out if your project needs planning approval.

When demolishing or removing is accepted development

Demolishing or removing a building may not require planning approval from Brisbane City Council.

A planning approval is not required for a demolition or removing project if the project meets all of the following requirements outlined in the Brisbane City Plan 2014:

You can demolish free-standing outbuildings without planning approval, as long as they were built after 1946.

Minor demolition work that is accepted development

For a dwelling house in the Traditional building character overlay and the Pre-1911 building overlay, there are some instances where minor demolition work does not require a planning approval. These include, but are not limited to, the following examples:

  • demolition of an internal wall or feature
  • demolition of a stair
  • demolition of a post-1946 addition, extension free-standing outbuilding
  • demolition of any post-1946 alteration to reveal the original design or reconstruction with the original form and materials, including roof material, wall cladding, windows, stumps, lower floor enclosures and verandah enclosures
  • demolition of features including windows, doors, balustrades, window hoods and fretwork forming part of the building constructed in 1946 or before where the demolition enables replacement of the feature with the new features of the same style and appearance consistent with traditional building character.

Raising an existing house where the resultant maximum height does not exceed 9.5m is identified as minor building work and in most cases is accepted development under the City Plan. Where minor building work is accepted development, no planning application is required. However, minor building work is not accepted development in some neighbourhood plan areas and a planning application will need to be made.

Where the dwelling is in the Heritage overlay, minor demolition is only accepted development where in the Local heritage place sub-category and involves:

  • demolition to facilitate internal building work or a fitout that does not materially affect cultural heritage significance
  • altering, repairing or removing furniture and fittings that do not contribute to cultural heritage significance
  • altering, repairing or removing building finishes that do not contribute to cultural heritage significance, such as paint, wallpaper and plaster.

Council advice should be sought to assist in determining whether demolition works are accepted development.

In some cases, Council may consider work to occur on a heritage place to be minor in nature, and allow work to occur under a heritage exemption certificate. Find out more about heritage exemption certificates and how to apply for a heritage exemption certificate for work on a local heritage place.

Demolition of any building or structure in a Principal or Major centre zone requires planning approval and is code assessable where the demolition is part of a committed program to exercise an existing development permit and a temporary park is created. A committed program can be demonstrated through a statutory declaration from the landowner that within three months of demolition, building work will commence on the site to affect an existing development permit.

When an application is required for demolition or removal

Where a planning application is needed, it is recommended you seek specialist consultant advice as specialist reports will be required to support your case that demolition is justifiable. This may include a report from a structural engineer if you are suggesting the building is structurally unsound.

Building approval

Building approval is separate from planning approval. A building approval is required before doing demolition work. You can arrange for building approval of your project through a licensed private building certifier. You must give the certifier scaled and detailed plans prepared by a draftsperson or architect.

Private building certifiers can be found using the Queensland Building and Construction Commission's Find a Local Contractor search.

Special requirements for relocating a house

If you are moving a house into the Brisbane City Council area, you need to submit a Request for Assessment for dwelling relocation. This is a requirement of the Queensland Development Code.

If you are moving a house to Brisbane from another local government area, you may need approval from that local government to remove the house.

Other permits you will need

You will need other permits in addition to planning and building approval, such as:

22 October 2018