Types of approval | Brisbane City Council

Types of approval

In Brisbane there are different types of approvals needed for different types of projects. Brisbane City Council allows some projects to be accepted development or accepted development, subject to  requirements (previously known as exempt development or self-assessable development) and need no approvals.

Other types of projects need development approval, building approval or siting variation approval. It is important to remember that even if your project does not need a development application, a building approval may still be required.

Certain types of development are simply not allowed and applications for these projects cannot be lodged or assessed. These projects are referred to as prohibited development.

Accepted development, subject to requirements

Certain types of projects do not need a development application but must comply with Council's rules and applicable Codes. These projects are referred to as accepted development, subject to requirements.

Accepted development

Where development is identified as accepted development, a development application is not required and there is no need to comply with Codes or other requirements of the City Plan.

Development approval

Development approvals determine what types of activities go where, as well as controlling and minimising the potential impacts on the surrounding properties. Council is responsible for assessing development applications and giving development approvals.

Water approval

Information about the water supply and sewerage aspects of building and development from Queensland Urban Utilities.

Building approval

Building approvals control the safety of the structure and are provided by private building certifiers.

Siting variations

A siting variation (or relaxation) may be required to build within the boundary setbacks of your property. Find out if you need a siting variation and how to apply.

Find out what approvals are required for common residential and business projects.

Building and development compliance

Council provides compliance and assessment in relation to the Building Act, Queensland Development Code, pool safety and general advice. A Request for Assessment application is required to obtain this advice.
13 July 2017