City Centre Master Plan Ideas Fiesta
The City Centre Master Plan Ideas Fiesta encouraged the Brisbane community to explore the future of their city centre through a three-week long program of events across the CBD, supported by online channels.
Held from 11 April to 3 May 2013, the Ideas Fiesta invited residents, visitors and businesses to get involved, be inspired, have fun and share their ideas for imagining the future of our city centre.
Ideas Fiesta snapshot
Most popular ideas from the community
Shade and greenery in the city centre
- embrace our tropical climate
- more green space
- less concrete
Pop-up events to create a more vibrant city centre
- food carts, music, art, markets, laneway events, outdoor cinemas
- make it easier for these events to happen (less regulation)
A '24-hour city'
- extended hours for dining, retail, libraries and entertainment venues
- late night activation of city streets and spaces
Pedestrian and cyclist friendly streets
- safe and comfortable
- wide, shaded pedestrian boulevards
- separate bike lanes
- less traffic
Creative lighting throughout the city centre
- on buildings
- in trees
- along footpaths
- a 'city of lights' experience
More roof top places
- publicly accessible
- food and drink destinations
Better use of the river frontage
- improve public access
- places to touch and engage with the river
- places to relax, eat, drink and recreate along and on the river
Reclaiming of the street for pedestrians
- permanently close Albert St to traffic and create a green link between the Botanic Gardens and King George Square/Roma St Parklands
- continue the temporary closure of Albert St and/or other CBD streets on a more regular basis
Ideas Fiesta wrap-up report
Download the Ideas Fiesta wrap-up report to learn more about the Fiesta and ideas generated for the future of our city centre:
From ideas to reality
Council received thousands of ideas for your city centre. Ideas and feedback have influenced the direction of the City Centre Master Plan 2014 and helped Council to identify priorities for future delivery.
To view ideas and images from the Ideas Fiesta, visit the social hub.