Urbis have focused on an aspirational vision for the Retail Heart of the city. This includes a design concept for Edward Street emerging an international luxury brands precinct with public realm improvements to transform the street into a world class retail environment with generous footpaths, tree lined streets and beautiful buildings.
Their vision for the Retail Heart also includes retail and public realm strategies for Queen Street to accommodate increasing numbers of pedestrians and connect the city centre’s primary waterfront destinations – South Bank, Eagle Street Pier and riverside and (soon to be completed) Howard Smith Wharves. The vision for this area includes an implementation timescale demonstrating how this area could evolve over time.
Some documents on this page need Adobe Reader to view or print them. You can download Adobe Reader for free. These files may also have a large file size and could take some time to download.
Community engagement with this idea
- views of this page - 874
- social media views - 17,351
- facebook likes - 119
- general support for revitalisation of Edward Street to create a more pedestrian-friendly, vibrant and world-class city experience
- support for underground retail
- mixed reactions about benefits of focusing on high-end retail
- design should reflect Brisbane’s unique identity and character
- money should be allocated elsewhere (eg. road and footpath repairs)
Photos and ideas
To view comments and images from the Ideas Fiesta, visit the City Centre Master Plan social hub.