Bulimba District Neighbourhood Plan amendment
On Tuesday 16 May 2017, Brisbane City Council adopted the Bulimba District Neighbourhood Plan amendment to Brisbane City Plan 2014 to incorporate provisions of the Bulimba Barracks Master Plan. The amendment became effective on Friday 19 May 2017.
The amendment provides for:
- a mix of housing types, with houses and unit developments, with no ‘affordable housing’ provisions
- sensitive integration with the surrounding residential area, with two to three storey unit developments increasing to five storeys in some locations towards the centre of the site
- retention of the historic fabrication workshop building and repurposing it for a range of retail, business, commercial and community uses
- local streets that connect to the existing road network and river, and provide sight lines to the Brisbane River
- riverfront parkland, including a land-based riverwalk with pedestrian and cycle connectivity
- infrastructure upgrades.
On 1 December 2015, Council finalised the Bulimba Barracks Master Plan, following extensive community consultation, to shape the future of the Bulimba Barracks site at Apollo Road.
The previous Bulimba District Neighbourhood Plan came into effect on 2 July 2012. The amendment includes revisions to the Bulimba District Neighbourhood Plan and associated amendments, including a change to zoning for the Bulimba Barracks site. This translates the Bulimba Barracks Master Plan into more specific rules for development, in accordance with the Sustainable Planning Act 2009.
The amendment was publicly notified for community submissions from 28 October to 9 December 2016. Council made a number of changes in response to the submissions.
On 23 February 2017, the revised Bulimba District Neighbourhood Plan amendment was sent to the Queensland Government requesting approval to adopt.
- Revised draft Bulimba Barracks Master Plan planning scheme amendments (Word - 5.59Mb)
- Draft Bulimba Barracks planning scheme amendments submissions report (Word - 239kb).
On 2 May 2017, the Queensland Government advised Council that the amendment could be adopted, subject to conditions which required the following changes.
- The inclusion of a note on Figures e and f in the neighbourhood plan to clarify the intent of the investigation area
- Provision for a potential future park and ride facility located in proximity to the Apollo Road CityCat terminal, with any proposals requiring further consultation with the Queensland Government.
The changes required by the Queensland Government conditions were included in the Bulimba District Neighbourhood Plan amendment. The final version of the amendment has now been incorporated into City Plan and came into effect on Friday 19 May 2017.
Bulimba Barracks Master Plan area
You can also download the:
|March 2015||Sale of the Bulimba Barracks announced by the Australian Government Department of Defence|
|August-October 2015||Draft Bulimba Barracks Master Plan released for community feedback|
Bulimba Barracks Master Plan finalised
|June 2016||Temporary Local Planning Instrument 03/16 Redevelopment of Bulimba Barracks (TLPI 03/16) adopted by Council (following Queensland Government approval)|
|28 October-9 December 2016||
City Plan statutory amendments released for community consultation
Download the draft plan that was released for public consultation:
|2 May 2017||Queensland Government approval of statutory amendments|
|16 May 2017||Council adoption of final statutory amendments to City Plan and repeal of the Temporary Local Planning Instrument.|
For more information you can: